Joe D thinks I am crazy...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Savages shoot both the 250gr & 300gr SST/XTP's equally as well. Guess I am just lucky.

I use the 250's most often because they are cheaper and have less recoil. Both do a great job on deer.

Joe, thanks for all the comments. Your customer service sure treated me right, in fact it was outstanding.

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

joedegrande said:
Thought I might be able to help with some of the questions since they seem to be related to what we saw at Savage. Me - think someone is crazy - not until I can get my elevator to go to the top floor will I ever pass judgment!

We are proud of the reputation we have built as a 'customer driven' company. When a firearm is sent in for evaluation, we call it like we see it. It's tough when what you see does not match what you heard. Unfortunately, there are those 'forces' in nature that thrive on those situations. Ever take your car to the mechanic for a noise and all of a sudden it's not there anymore? Ever go to a doctor and all of a sudden the symptom is gone? Gosh, I hate those 'forces'!

ANYWAY, back to the muzzle loader. I have dealt with Henry for quite a long time and have the utmost respect in him; personally and professionally. When Henry puts his name on a firearm, it's good. As a mechanical device however, things can happen. We had a team of three evaluate this firearm: myself, the Master Gunsmith, and the shooter. The consensus of opinion was that the bolt stroke was 'normal'. By this I mean that all three of us felt no unusual binding, grinding, or the necessity to close it any harder than any other muzzle loader. Accuracy - no issue with 0.9" at 100 yards. The powder used was IMR4759 (42 grains), 250 gr Hornady XTP bullet, and a MMP sabot (short pedal).

A good rule of thumb for accuracy is that whenever an issue arises, go back to basics. The recommended loads in our manual are time proven. There are also other variables such as making sure the breech plug is not constricted, vent liner is good, action screws/scope bases/rings are tight. I guess all I'm trying to do is raise an awareness to some of the many factors that contribute to the overall function of the muzzle loader.

Oh, before I close, thanks so much for the kind words! Do we make every call right - no - but they are made honestly, sincerely, and with all the available facts, knowledge and experience at our disposal. As I have posted many times, if there is a question or a problem I can help with - contact me. I wish I could read every post on every forum but that alone would be a full time job (and a half).

joe ...

Joe DeGrande
Director Of Customer Service
Savage Arms, Inc.

[email protected]
413-568-7001 (ext 4139)

Doesn't THAT make you want to RUN out and buy one of this guys muzzleloaders? If I didn't all ready have 3 10ML-IIs :oops: , I'd have to go buy one NOW! 8)

How many Directors of Customer Service would have DARED expose themselves to the uncertainty of internet scrutiny? :lol: On top of THAT...Joe posts his email address and phone number AND extension where he can be reached? Doesn't Joe know that he's not SUPPOSED to do that? 8)

Joe, thanks for setting the standard.

big6x6 said:
Doesn't THAT make you want to RUN out and buy one of this guys muzzleloaders? If I didn't all ready have 3 10ML-IIs :oops: , I'd have to go buy one NOW! 8)

I'm planning on it although it may be a while since I have to sell my Omega first. I gotta get a good stock for it too since the Savage stocks won't work for me. :(

I gotta get a good stock for it too since the Savage stocks won't work for me.

PW: I think I see a thumbhole stock mating up with your new Savage. Where are you thinking about for that custom stock? Boyd, Richard's or somewhere else.

Doesn't THAT make you want to RUN out and buy one of this guys muzzleloaders? If I didn't all ready have 3 10ML-IIs , I'd have to go buy one NOW!

How many Directors of Customer Service would have DARED expose themselves to the uncertainty of internet scrutiny? On top of THAT...Joe posts his email address and phone number AND extension where he can be reached? Doesn't Joe know that he's not SUPPOSED to do that?

Joe, thanks for setting the standard.

Absolutely Chuck! Joe and Savage are certainly setting the standard here. It sure is great to see them participate here.

Thanks Joe - :yeah:

Back