Joe D thinks I am crazy...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcchartboy

Reaction score
Joe Degrande fully inspected/tested handled and shot the ole Henry Ball 162#.
Passed every technical test with flying colors....
Bolt operates fine...
Shot .9" 3 shot group off the bench...

How did I know it would be good little gun when it back home for the first time...? :think:

One word....Finicky :lol:

The bolt might be fine. The breech plug is the problem then.(It just doesnt work with your primer) :) He might of used a different primer as well. The primers you use are not fine in that gun. Ask him what primer he used. What primers are you using?

That bolt was hard to close!? I SAW that myself! :? They said it was fine? :shock:

Grouse said:
The bolt might be fine. The breech plug is the problem then.(It just doesnt work with your primer) :) He might of used a different primer as well. The primers you use are not fine in that gun. Ask him what primer he used. What primers are you using?

Savage uses Winchester W209's, as always.

Patrick White said:
That bolt was hard to close!? I SAW that myself! :? They said it was fine? :shock:

My HB was that way with Federal primers. I started using winchester primers and it worked great. If Joe said the head spacing was right, i'm sure it is.

Grouse said:

I had him check Bolt/bolt handle/breachplug/action screws etc...

I use Federal Primers...I will ask him which he used...

I believe that Joe's qualification of the bolt operation was only that it met specs and operated properly.
(It is quite possible that some will always require less/more pressure to operate, however he actually felt that mine was very smooth, and function was obviously my main concern.)

Grouse said:
VENISONEATR said:
I think the problem is the "nut" that operates the bolt :poke:

:lol: :lol: Wrong bullets, wrong primers, wrong sabots, maybe he will be ready for next year. :p

At least I still got one believer....

107_0778.jpg

Joe Degrande fully inspected/tested handled and shot the ole Henry Ball 162#.
Passed every technical test with flying colors....

Here's my take... Of any muzzleloading/customer service reps I know..Joe is one of the FEW that I would actually trust/believe. If he said it was within spec, I'm sure it was. Now whether or not those specs are what they should be is another issue... Although I thought your bolt was a little stiff going thru the motions too you may now rest assure that your 10ML-II IS operating as expected by Savage.

But consider yourself VERY fortunate...you and JJ returned your rifles at the same time, yours to Savage and his to Austin and Halleck. You got yours back in a timely manner. JJ has not and HE'S been dealing with the OPERATION MANAGER of the COMPANY! Two COMPLETELY different customer service philosophies here....

Is JJ's Austin still out there??????????

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Grouse said:
Patrick White said:

My HB was that way with Federal primers. I started using winchester primers and it worked great. If Joe said the head spacing was right, i'm sure it is.

Tom,
He was opening and closing the bolt WITHOUT a primer in it. It was still hard to close.

Spitpatch said:
Is JJ's Austin still out there??????????

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Spit-

Yes, they have had it for a month now inhouse. I do not expect it to return as I told Ray via email yesterday to keep the gun. Obviously it was too much to pick up the phone or return my calls.

To date, I have purchased 2 Austin & Halleck 420's and both of them ARE ill functioning.. Both have spent more time in the hands of UPS than in the field. Both guns have been a terrible letdown and devastating to my wallet.

..... to think, I could have one fine ULA for the price of those two 420's!!!!! :puke:

I see on A/H website that they are preparing the introduction of their new muzzleloader. http://www.austinhalleck.com/AHPR17.html
All I can say is BUYER BEWARE!

Doohan said:
Obviously it was too much to pick up the phone or return my calls.

They have not contacted you for a month????????? :( You have been way to cool about this JJ. Isnt Ray Crow the President of the company? That's scary bud. We need to make people aware of this JJ. There are not alot of people out there that can say just keep the Dam gun. :x I guess there are only a few good company's left. That's one really good thing about Savage. Customer service/ Joe Degrande are AWESOME at Savage Arms.

Yes he did, but he said it very quick. I know it was the .452 XTP in short black. I did not get the Powder...but it I belive it was 4759

Latest posts

Back