Just Bought A Gun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muley Hunter

Reaction score
Well, this is quite a compromise for me. As I mentioned in my other recent posts I have to get away from the long barreled Hawkens. My back just can't handle it anymore. Plus, carrying a 9-10lb gun up these mountains is wearing me out.

I wanted a short barrel and weighed in the 7 1/2lb range. Of course it has to be a sidelock. At first I was going to get a .50 so i'd have the option of using conicals, but the more I thought of it I don't want to use anything but a PRB and Goex. I also want it to be a new gun with a warranty.

So, that cut down the options to only one gun. the Lyman Deerstalker. 24' barrel and weighs 7 1/2lbs. Perfect. I got it in .54 so I have a bit more punch for bear and elk.

Here she is.

deerstalker-main.jpg

That certainly will do the job.  Not sure about that sissy pad!

Yeah, I wouldn't have put the pad on it, but if I ever feel like shooting a conical it will be welcome.

Lyman is a great company and that will be a pleasure to carry for sure, I been luggin around a 9 1/2 pounder and it's getting old.

Hey! That'll put food on the table! I think it is a good choice and it looks good. 

AND, some that are super, super fine? The owners use synthetic powder. Synthetic! I ain't naming any names, but don't let Jon give you any grief about a supposed "sissy pad." He ain't got no couth. :rolling on flo

Recoil pads are allowed when you pass 70 years old.  :D

You can tell they had hunting in mind when they made this gun. They blackened all the metal and the sling swivels. I love set triggers for target work, but not for hunting, so I'm glad to see the single trigger. Easy to shoulder and point and easy to carry. Lyman makes a really nice peep sight and i'm sure i'll put one on. It bolts right on the tang for this gun.

It's a well thought out hunting gun and that's all I wanted.

Good choice. I've used a recoil pad for 20 years. It helps a lot with my bad shoulders.

That's been my wife's favorite rifle and caliber for a lot of years now. Lotta other guns in the rack, but that's the one she takes hunting year after year.  Probably one of the most accurate rifles we own, but I'm mostly guessing. She barely lets me shoot it!

Just a note on her rifle- I found it's favorite "hunting" load to be 80 grains of Goex 3f under a .530 home-cast with a ticking patch, TOW mink oil tallow for lube. 

But my wife wants no part of "so much" recoil and noise. She shoots ragged holes with 60 grains of 3f Goex and has made many a deer regret her choice. Never recovered a single ball from a deer in all the years, though she does hold all her shots to 50 yards.

You're likely to be real happy with the gem, especially in 54 cal. In fact, for both my wife and I the 54 balances and "hangs" better than the 50 we were able to shoot.  Only hickup, Lyman nipples don't seem to like CCI caps, which are just enough too small that they sit too high and occasionally misfire. Swap out for almost any other nipple and no sweat.  The Lyman nipple is fine with Remington caps, but those darned CCIs....

BrownBear said:
That's been my wife's favorite rifle and caliber for a lot of years now. Lotta other guns in the rack, but that's the one she takes hunting year after year.  Probably one of the most accurate rifles we own, but I'm mostly guessing. She barely lets me shoot it!

Just a note on her rifle- I found it's favorite "hunting" load to be 80 grains of Goex 3f under a .530 home-cast with a ticking patch, TOW mink oil tallow for lube. 

But my wife wants no part of "so much" recoil and noise. She shoots ragged holes with 60 grains of 3f Goex and has made many a deer regret her choice. Never recovered a single ball from a deer in all the years, though she does hold all her shots to 50 yards.

You're likely to be real happy with the gem, especially in 54 cal. In fact, for both my wife and I the 54 balances and "hangs" better than the 50 we were able to shoot.  Only hickup, Lyman nipples don't seem to like CCI caps, which are just enough too small that they sit too high and occasionally misfire. Swap out for almost any other nipple and no sweat.  The Lyman nipple is fine with Remington caps, but those darned CCIs....
Funny you should recommend that load. I was thinking 80gr of Goex 3F was what I was going to try in the gun. I've been a fan of Mink Oil for a decade too. Maybe longer. It should be fine for elk. At my age that means a cow elk. I'm only after meat and i've never tasted a bad cow. I can't say the same for bulls. Some are good, some not so good. I would imagine the herd cow might be bad tasting too, but I always leave her alone.

Deer is not really on my list. It's hard to get a muzzleloader deer tag in this area. These muley's taste like sage to me. Most of it ends up being meat for my dog. Same thing for bear meat. That's fine though, because it leaves me the elk meat. I love it and can eat it everyday of the year and not get tired of it. My dog is my whole family and he eats as much meat as me. I like hunting for meat for both of us. Bear and deer for him and elk for me.  :D

Thanks for all the comments guys. I'd prefer an accurate Hawken, but the time has come to be practical. The Deerstalker suits me better, and your encouragement helps me accept it better.

Thanks   :Red tup:

All of my percussion cap rifles and most of my long-barreled flintlocks are heavy weights. Like Bear Claw says, they are fine for target shooting. But, had I been able to go hunting this year, I would have looked for a lighter weight rifle.
Ron

" But, had I been able to go hunting this year, I would have looked for a lighter weight rifle. 
Ron"

Gee Ron, you mean you can't go hunting yet? Get a new doctor that will let you have some fun.

Had to go back to physical therapy to work on my walk. It turns out that it can take as much as 2 years to fully recover from a completely torn quadriceps. The second tear and surgery in February set the clock of recovery back significantly.
The positive side is that the injured left leg is getting stronger with regular exercise and I no longer am using a cane.
Basketball playing and break dancing does not seem to be in my immediate future. :) 
Ron

Bear Claw said:
Breakdancing would be fun to watch. Can you spin on your head?
There would be low friction if I did spin on my head!

Gun is supposed to be here Friday. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas.

I don't wait very good.  :pale:

Latest posts

Back