Just getting Started

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samoset

Reaction score
Hello from North Carolina, recently started doing some research to add muzzle loading seasons into my hunting opportunities when things are just a tad to far of a reach with the the ole bow and arrow.

Look forward to learning from you all.

Wel
Hello from North Carolina, recently started doing some research to add muzzle loading seasons into my hunting opportunities when things are just a tad to far of a reach with the the ole bow and arrow.

Look forward to learning from you all.
Welcome to the forum.
You're in the right place, theres a literal wealth of knowledge & experience in here willing to help the novice out
What muzzleloaders do you have?

Wel

Welcome to the forum.
You're in the right place, theres a literal wealth of knowledge & experience in here willing to help the novice out
What muzzleloaders do you have?
I am currently in the market for my first, Im fairly frugal but also believe in the buy once cry once in gear purchases.

so I’ll likely be researching for some time before I commit.

Looking for something I can poke holes in things at a good distance. 1-300yd max . If that even proves realistic once I get set up.

My initial research has lead me to the accura lrx,

But doing my due diligence I have settled on nothing yet.

Theres always the TC Renegade /Rice barrel 45 cal if you know your yardage /bullet ( cast your own) and Jason will enlighten you on twist for your bullet weight /intention of yardage/critter your shooting for/Ed

Welcome from SE Michigan!
It's good to hear you're considering the buy once cry once scenario for 300 yard accuracy.
If you don't mind, here's a couple questions that might help our community help out ...
Are you an experienced hunter/shooter with centerfire rifles?
It sounds like you're interested only with modern style, in-line muzzy's ... is that the case?
Are you planning on hunting or paper punching with this MZ rifle? This will help determine what accuracy you're looking for...
Are you recoil sensitive?
Will you be carrying this rifle into steep terrain and/or extensive distances?
The previous 2 questions come to play when considering the rifle weight...
Do you know which caliber you're leaning towards? 50 Cal has been a longtime standard, but many are now opting toward 45 ..
Hopefully this doesn't sound nosey or condescending, thank-you

Welcome from SE Michigan!
It's good to hear you're considering the buy once cry once scenario for 300 yard accuracy.
If you don't mind, here's a couple questions that might help our community help out ...
Are you an experienced hunter/shooter with centerfire rifles?
It sounds like you're interested only with modern style, in-line muzzy's ... is that the case?
Are you planning on hunting or paper punching with this MZ rifle? This will help determine what accuracy you're looking for...
Are you recoil sensitive?
Will you be carrying this rifle into steep terrain and/or extensive distances?
The previous 2 questions come to play when considering the rifle weight...
Do you know which caliber you're leaning towards? 50 Cal has been a longtime standard, but many are now opting toward 45 ..
Hopefully this doesn't sound nosey or condescending, thank-you
I have some experience shooting rifles long range however I am far from an expert,

I have the intentions on putting in time and finances to develop myself and gear to be proficient once I make the commitment,

I’ll punch paper of course but the ultimate goal is elk , sika deer and generally the types of hunts that are currently outside of how I typically stock my freezer, eventually maybe a mountain goat or havelena the possibilities are endless , I have zero interest in trophies I simply love good wild meat.

I am the type of individual that requires hobbies. To keep me sane and healthy and as I grow older these hobbies diversify and I look for new things to play with in my free time. I love the outdoors and shooting.

So stepping into muzzle loaders and some of the obvious benefits that come with the seasons available. Landed me here.

Thank you all I appreciate the welcoming posts and all the advice given so far.

Truly look forward to having many a great conversations and sharing my experiences with you.

For all of you that suggested woodman arms , this was a rifle even with a decent mount of research I didn’t know existed. And precisely why I decided to come this forum,

The only issue I currently have with the patriot is the potential lead time.
After doing a fair amount of research I think I’m settled on a patriot, for my current needs and skill set it should totally do everything I need a muzzleloader to do for some time to come.

Now the challenge of choosing a stock and the best barrel and load for my goals this should be fun.

Latest posts

Back