Just getting Started

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welcome from SE Michigan!
It's good to hear you're considering the buy once cry once scenario for 300 yard accuracy.
If you don't mind, here's a couple questions that might help our community help out ...
Are you an experienced hunter/shooter with centerfire rifles?
It sounds like you're interested only with modern style, in-line muzzy's ... is that the case?
Are you planning on hunting or paper punching with this MZ rifle? This will help determine what accuracy you're looking for...
Are you recoil sensitive?
Will you be carrying this rifle into steep terrain and/or extensive distances?
The previous 2 questions come to play when considering the rifle weight...
Do you know which caliber you're leaning towards? 50 Cal has been a longtime standard, but many are now opting toward 45 ..
Hopefully this doesn't sound nosey or condescending, thank-you
IMG_2547.pngIMG_2548.png
So based on my limited experience and understanding that when I recommend things to my customers it comes from my experience.

I’m going to start with the .45 with the standard 1:24 twist and 225 grain star tip as recommended by the craftsman that make them.

Blackhorn 209 at 100 grains by volume

And the tracker sights they have so I can put a bunch of rounds on my short range and get used to the recoil, once we start reaching out I’ll be looking for scope recommendations

.45 cal. Patriot / McGowen, 1-18 twist barrel. Thats what my recommendation would be. Good for all bullet weights with the appropriate powder, shooting full bore or sabots. Eventually you may want to go smokeless… read in searches about the versatility of the 1-18 compared to other twist by MrMtnMonkey. He shoots more bullets a year than most of us put together. The guy knows.

Any colors you leaning towards for a stock,there are a few other colors not on the website
Forest camo or charcoal laminate , now I’m hung up on which barrel to get, for my applications which will vary as time goes on I’m sure but coastal nc deer woods to Maryland marsh to maybe some eastern elk one day.

View attachment 39603View attachment 39604
So based on my limited experience and understanding that when I recommend things to my customers it comes from my experience.

I’m going to start with the .45 with the standard 1:24 twist and 225 grain star tip as recommended by the craftsman that make them.

Blackhorn 209 at 100 grains by volume

And the tracker sights they have so I can put a bunch of rounds on my short range and get used to the recoil, once we start reaching out I’ll be looking for scope recommendations
Ordered the patriot 45cal forest green standard 1:24 twist this evening, also purchased a bullet starter, cleaning jag some anti seize grease 3 packs of the 225gran star tips with sabot and the tracker sight package.

Now time to secure some Blackhorn 209 and some 209 primers .

I believe I’ll have a little time to find the ladder. But I’ll start looking locally soon.

If I have to order online and pay a hazmat fee is there a place I can get both the powder and the primers on the same site.

Thanks everyone

Congratulations, you just purchased a man toy that you will absolutely fall in love with. I would get a hold of woodman arms and have a custom spin jag put on your ram rod that is equal to the barrel length when installed. Thats what i did and Mark had one in stock and for a small fee installed it for me. Second start searching for powder and primers now as you say. What for free hazmat or shipping as its the season. Powder valley just had free hazmat. It takes a couple sessions for you to get to know the rifle, thats half the fun of falling in love…shorty

Try to find your BH and primers local to you avoid the hazmat. I think you said you were coastal NC if so Sportsmans Warehouse in Wilmington had BH and primers couple of weeks ago.

Yeah my choice would be an 18 twist in .45.

Going to try and shoot the bullet and the barrel recommended by the manufacturer, if it doesn’t work for me I’ll adapt and overcome.

If I get a lightweight reliable muzzleloader that will reliably shoot moa groups if I do my part. I’ll buy another and set it up differently for longer ranges.

Last edited:
Is anyone currently shooting (or point me to a thread) the patriot with the 1:24 barrel, 225gr star tips with crush rib sabot , sold by woodman with 100grain by volume Blackhorn 209.

As this will be my starting point for this rifle, I’m trying to find if anyone has muzzle velocities or sight in information . Using this load.

I realized before I asked this question in an environment where a lot of you all likely knew already what you wanted to do with your patriot long before you purchased it.

I purchased mine for a lightweight stalking gun. If I can eventually stretch it out I will but I’d like to figure out the best way to get it sighted in in the deer woods potentially out to 150 .

Just looking around to see if I can find any data with that, barrel, load and bullet.

Thanks

One day more is still better than coal. Haven’t had any luck finding magnum shot shell primers or blackhorn 209 anyways , but I hadn’t realy started looking until yesterday so.

Wish me luck on that front. I was kinda expecting a bit longer wait lol

Attachments

• IMG_2961.jpeg
    IMG_2961.jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 0
Can any one in fact confirm that the front sight post is in fact used on the .45 as well as the .50 the way this sentence is worded and the fact. They include a taller post is a tad confusing. Just making sure it’s not a typo on the sight. As far as the gun goes I’m speechless at the moment, absolutely cant wait to put some rounds through her. IMG_2962.jpeg

I own a truly gorgeous piece, of what should be functional art.

Slight bit of buyer’s remorse.

Back