Just learned something

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ive been looking for H4198 powder for a while now for my SML. I have a little left that I use for loading a few CF cartridges. I was doing some research and found out that Hodgdon makes borh H4198 and IMR4198 and uses the old H4198 formulation for both. So they are now the newer canisters are interchangeable!
CORRECTION: My information from another site was incorrect. These powders are NOT the same. I spoke directly with a Hodgdon representative this morning and got the information first hand. Continue to use the different data listed for both powders.

Last edited:
H vrs IMR was pretty interesting for me, my 700 smokeless 1/20 twist and my Cva Scout 1/20 Twist shoot better with the H version. My Brux Omega 1/20 prefers IMR. Go figure.
That's quite possible Mike if you have an older can of the IMR. Older IMR4198 was a faster burning powder thus producing higher velocities. And too the IMR version was somewhat bulkier. The newer stuff is the same formulation as H4198 both made by Hodgdon but Hodgdon kept the name, at least for now.
Other information I've learned is that Hodgdon is going to completely eliminate the entire IMR line.
Now I used to use a lot of IMR4350 so I'm thinking is H4350 going to be comparable? I do use H4350 in my 6.5CM. Also looking at other info IMR4064 is almost identical to H335.

That's quite possible Mike if you have an older can of the IMR. Older IMR4198 was a faster burning powder thus producing higher velocities. And too the IMR version was somewhat bulkier. The newer stuff is the same formulation as H4198 both made by Hodgdon but Hodgdon kept the name, at least for now.
Other information I've learned is that Hodgdon is going to completely eliminate the entire IMR line.
Now I used to use a lot of IMR4350 so I'm thinking is H4350 going to be comparable? I do use H4350 in my 6.5CM. Also looking at other info IMR4064 is almost identical to H335.
So this is something recent, I’ve always know the 2 to be grain for grain in smokeless application.

Yes, I’d be really curious to hear where that’s coming from as well.

Last I read, IMR 4198 is made in Canada at the General Dynamics Valleyfield plant. H4198 is made by ADI in Australia, (where it is known as AR2207). Certainly possible I suppose that the formula is currently the same, but unlikely.

I have 2 cans of H4198, one i opened n started to test with. My groups were nothing to write about, best i remember 53 gr gave me a true 1 5/8" at a hundred. By the time i got to 55 gr recoil on my bad left shoulder . I said self lets go back to VV110/4759 n blue dot.

Back