SML POWDER

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As you'all probably know by now that I have just completed building my Omega sml muzzleloader with the barrel from Mark Woodman.In my Knight mountaineer 45 sml brux barrel I use 60 grains of h4198 powder,a 200 grain sst hornaday bullet with a harvester lbs sabot and fed 209a primers.All that being said I am wondering about several other powders to try in my Omega.Stay with what I have got or try IMR 4198,RE7.or N120that is as close to what I use now.My Knight sml is a tack driver and taken deer from 15 yds out to 246 yds.Or should I use what I have in both the guns.I really want my Omega to really perform as well as the Knight or better as I understand it could.

One reason I would is that you get a lot more velocity for the same pressure in this example.

35 gr N110 with 195 Bx/HLBS - 2457 fps (34k psi)

IMG_3291.jpeg

These two are vastly different powders - a guy may not be able to work up an accurate load and/or one that stays under a safe pressure limit (especially with a heavier bullet) with N110.

I have to ask why would you use N120 over N110? I get that you lose fps but you use almost half the powder with N110 over N120.
You have to be careful with N110 because of your powder chamber, if you have one. You gotta make sure it fills it up. For my gun set-up, N110 is perfect for reduced loads.

As you'all probably know by now that I have just completed building my Omega sml muzzleloader with the barrel from Mark Woodman.In my Knight mountaineer 45 sml brux barrel I use 60 grains of h4198 powder,a 200 grain sst hornaday bullet with a harvester lbs sabot and fed 209a primers.All that being said I am wondering about several other powders to try in my Omega.Stay with what I have got or try IMR 4198,RE7.or N120that is as close to what I use now.My Knight sml is a tack driver and taken deer from 15 yds out to 246 yds.Or should I use what I have in both the guns.I really want my Omega to really perform as well as the Knight or better as I understand it could.
Try what you got and go from there.

Back