Just learned something

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went the opposite direction as everyone else when I had my conversion done. My objective was simple, a </= 150 yard low recoil deer killing gun. My black blue Scout is set up for the lighter sabot loads. It has the longer DI plug from Hankins. It takes most of the 45-70 chamber out. I have a very small powder chamber. I wanted to shoot the faster powders like N110. I shoot bullets mainly from 180gr to 225gr. I tried sabotless but I prefer to shoot a saboted 40 cal 180 - 225gr bullet with N110 than a sabotless 45 cal 250 - 275gr bullet with 4198. That's the great thing about these conversions, versatility. You can set it up about any way you want it but there is limitations.
I measured my plug with a DI module installed. The plug with the module measures 1.905. If the original 45/70 chamber is 2.105, I should have around a .200 powder chamber.

Unless someone is hunting something bigger than deer/hogs/black bear or reaching out longer range. 180-250 gr bullets should take care of killing in fine fashion. Just look at the dia. n weight these bullets are. Were shooting bullets in weight of the largest a 30-06 or .300 mags shoot !

Latest posts

Back