Just won a CVA Wolf on GunBroker

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After a day of running around and working on home projects, I decided to surf GB for a few minutes and came across a CVA Wolf 50 that only had 25 minutes left on the auction. No bids had been made so I went ahead and made the minimum bid of $100. Low and behold I won the auction, $25 more for shipping, for a grand total of $125. Not too bad as long as the bore is in decent shape, we shall see. I am probably going to gift it to my nephew’s son, he is wanting to get into muzzleloading and it seems like a good way to get him started.

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

SCORE those are good shooting guns. Front sight is an easy fix and the scope sounds like a great option. Enjoy.

That rifle will serve him well! A friend of mine has that same model. Its kinda pitted and rough in the bore but shoots reasonably well. It carries a 2x7x32 and he shoots 2 white hots under a powerbelt pure lead. Even with the roughness it shoots a 3 inch group of 3 without cleaning it at 75 yrds. I have said bad things about powerbelts for years put that pure lead round makes a nice mushroom and knocks down deer for him.

How did the gun/bore look when you received it? Had an opportunity to use it yet?

Well, it came in the mail yesterday and I must admit I was very disappointed. I was so mad last night I forgot to take some picks. The outside looked good, but I had to use a pair of pliers to get the breech plug out and it was toast for sure. The barrel was so filthy, that I couldn’t even see the rifling. I thought to myself that I might be looking for a new barrel.

I went to town scrubbing and cleaning over and over again. It gradually got better and better and low and behold the barrel had rifling after all. It looks 100% better the rifling is crisp with a little bit of pitting. Still a work in progress with some more scrubbing, but I think she’ll shoot. I won’t be able to get it out to shoot for a little bit, but I will give a range report when I do. I’ll post some pics when I get the chance.

I have to admit I am not very happy with the seller, but I knew it wasn‘t going to be perfect. My fault for not asking questions first, but when I saw it the time left in the auction wasn’t enough to get any details. I would never sell a rifle in that shape without stating it. Here is the way the description read.

“CVA Model Wolf Cal: 50cal. SN#: None. Overall appears good condition. Front Site Insert - Broke. No rear sight. Has Weaver Bases. Bore appears Good. As Shown. Final Sale.”

Bore appears good! Holy crap that sounds like an outright lie. I am glad you are making progress with the cleaning though. What are you using to clean it? I know from my own experience like you that JB Bore Paste and Krill over copper brush/patch works along with 0000 steel pad. Deermanok uses the green scotchbrite pads and I tried that too, works pretty good. I wouldn't worry to much about the pitting, I had some I bought that are pretty bad but still shoot pretty good.
John

I used T/C bore cleaner and CLP with a copper brush and patch. I’ll hit my reloading store next week and see if they have any of the JB bore paste. I emailed the seller and asked for an explanation. We‘ll see what he has to say before I blast him on GB feedback.

Sorry to hear that. That is the worst thing about buying a ML without seeing it and/or getting detailed info on it. I'm sure you can get it cleaned enough to shoot ok, but most likely you'll be battling rust from here on out.

Bore appears good, LOL. :rolleyes:

Well you can certainly see it has rifling now! I've tried the dynatek on a couple to see if it makes any difference on cleaning but haven't shot them enough to tell yet. Like WV Hunter said, rust will be your friend from here on out! The one older style CVA Optima that I get rust out of every time I put a patch down it will shoot 3 295 gr HP Powerbelts that touch each other at 100yds using 2 Pyrodex pellets. So your wolf will probably shoot well. I don't use it for hunting but sometimes bring it as a camp gun in case someone needs it.

Back