Kentucky Pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawgslayer1

Reaction score
Anyone with info on this pistol :?:  Any and all will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ray

I was thinking of buying the Traditions Kentucky Pistol but now I checked Dixie gun works and they have a Pedersoli Kentucky Pistol for 250.00 along with the traditions Kentucky pistol for 175.00.

Ray

lighthorseman said:
Not at all.....when you right! :lol!:
And, that is SOOO rare as to not amount to much. :lol!:

I coveted this Kentucky pistol. I watched it sit on sale with Clay Smith starting at $2,450. 
It was dropped over months of time to $1,875 where is sold fairly recently. Sure is pretty. 

Elliott_pistol_right_zps4ypgbywa.jpg

Kentucky Colonel said:
lighthorseman said:

I coveted this Kentucky pistol. I watched it sit on sale with Clay Smith starting at $2,450. 
It was dropped over months of time to $1,875 where is sold fairly recently. Sure is pretty. 

The pictures don't do it justice. If you can make it to the fall shoot at Friendship the first weekend I will let you look at it a LOT closer. The Bess too if you are of the mind.
The funny thing about the pistol is that when I showed it to my old rendezvous buddy I found out that he had almost bought it himself.

Needs a brass mounted long rifle to go with it.........or that Bess you were talking about! :2 cents:

Kentucky Colonel said:
lighthorseman said:

I really like the lines of Kentucky pistols and that is a nice one!
Ron

lighthorseman said:
Needs a brass mounted long rifle to go with it.........or that Bess you were talking about! :2 cents:
Got one. You will have to scroll down to my post in this thread:

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/269395/post/1147857/hl//fromsearch/1/#1147857

It is the third one. Better pictures of it can be found by at:

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2013/04/early-pennsylvania-rifle-by-ken-moors.html

I lucked out on that one. It warn't cheap, but it was a lot less than his guns are going for now.
Before it was stolen I had a Clay Smith rifle, built from one of Wayne Dunlap's kits when Clay was still working in the blacksmith shop at Williamsburg. I hate to think how much more it's worth than I paid for it just because he signed it.

I really like that long rifle.......perfect for a period correct impression. Here's the next pistol I aim to purchase...Lloyd Moler officer's pistol he's holding for me until I can get the cash......
MyFavoritePistol2%20637.jpg

Lloyd apologized for the quality of the photo. Carved shell surrounding the tang and engraving in metal furniture.

My Kentucky pistol is not quite as nice as the ones above. The person who owned it before used it in shooting matches.
GFi3Aq.jpg

VnpCFZ.jpg

Pistol Story:

45 cal custom Kentucky pistol by Don Rose, a leather craftsman who was helped by Dennis Priddy and Dick Miller, both gun makers. Priddy and Miller did most of the work.  Dick Miller is the Gunmaker’s Hall Chairman, President’s Hall, Friendship, and is responsible for building most of the raffle guns for the American Longrifle Association. He also writes for Muzzle Loader Magazine. Priddy makes $10,000 rifles and pistols and is prominent in muzzleloading circles. Miller and Priddy had a major lock builder pick out his best lock for this gun and used top materials for the build. Both are members of the Grand Valley Cap and Ballers Builders. Dennis Priddy has guns featured in the Contemporary Makers Blog. Wood to metal fit is very nice.  Bore is perfect.   Rose had the rear sight moved to the tang.

Ron

Randy?! Am I really to understand that you bought this lovely Ky. pistol? 
I had my eye on it for months. It is beautiful. I did think hard about buying it, too.

Yep.
Except for the cheapo Tower pistol, (20 bucks when I bought it in the late sixties) it is the only flint pistol l have ever owned. A few days before I bought it I had been drooling over a similar one at Chamber's booth at Friendship. Twas one of those "the devil made me do it" situations.
I will commute to Friendship Friday, Saturday, and Sunday the first weekend. I might shoot the rifle on Saturday and will defineatly shoot the Bess Sunday. If you are going to be around PM me and we can make arrangements to meet up.

Back