Keyholing 22 mag

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacksheep

Reaction score
I was firing my Marlin 25 mn using REM 40 hp at 100 yds very nice groups on plates . I had some 50 gr Fed so fired one on a paper target to check zero nada checked barrel clear fired another nada went to 50 yds rounds were keyholing or almost so . Anybody else have this ?

I did an upgrade on a 10/22 a while back. To be thorough I shot a variety of ammo to see what shot best. Groups from dime size at 50 to paper dollar size. Yes paper dollar. Federals were my worst groups with 4 types being represented. But I agree with anonymous above.

Yeah I thought that the barrel only has maybe 500 rds thru it and the last Remington rd hit perfectly on the plate and the next rd which was the first 50 gr was MIA so it’s not like there was a gradual decline in performance it was literally one round to the next.

I’ve never gone that light this gun is finicky it evens shoots the same weight and velocity cci sp and fmj/hp to different points which I’m guessing has to do with bullet configuration but man did it shoot the Remington. Thanks for the reply I was sure mine wasn’t the only one .

Wow I've had just the opposite results with my Henry. The Rems shot like crap while CCI and Federal shot tiny little groups with CCI showing a slight edge.
I also have a Bergara 22LR that I shot CCI, Federal (std and target), Norma Tac22, Rem, Win, Aguila, Ely and a couple others and Found that CCI MiniMag and Federal Target shot one ragged hole 10 shot groups at 50 yards with Norma shooting only slightly better. The Rems looked like a shotgun patter compared to these 3.

I was firing my Marlin 25 mn using REM 40 hp at 100 yds very nice groups on plates . I had some 50 gr Fed so fired one on a paper target to check zero nada checked barrel clear fired another nada went to 50 yds rounds were keyholing or almost so . Anybody else have this ?
I have some 60gr that did that through a 10/22 but tried in a bolt action and were fine.

Back