Knight 500

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Knight 500 is a very Specific Tool with it’s 1-18 Twist (Target/Bench), The Mountaineer and Ultra Lite 1:20 Twist .45s are where it’s at for the VAST Majority of Folks

That Said, I would LOVE to own a Knight 500, It would be a Much better Fit for me & what i enjoy doing than my Old Mountaineer was. If i had a Knight 500 I would be shooting it from Mountain Top to Mountain Top :D
What you got to trade 😁

True. It's only a few more steps.

To be serious. I kind of wish I had bought the Disc Extreme. I could have come up with a light deer load. The Knight weighs 8.5 lbs and I was worried about that. So, now I have a crossbow that weighs........you guessed it......8.5 lbs. Plus, it's bulky. The muzzy season is 9 days compared to 30 days for archery but how long do I need to get a deer? Most of the archery season won't be used. Plus, now I have a new problem. I can't pull out the arrows from a broadhead foam target. Even my 25 year old neighbor can't get them out.

I put the crossbow up for sale. If I can find a buyer i'm taking it and buying the Disc Extreme. I won't have to buy a range finder for it like I do for the bow.

Color me stupid. :(

Use a bag instead of foam. Foam heats up and melts the bolt right into the target. Use target tips..........

:lewis: How VERY True!! I have shot new Mckenzie Delta 3D Targets that required 2 of us to Remove the Arrow, and even that was TOUGH going. I can take that Same Arrow from the Same Bow and Shoot a “Bag of Rags” and pull the Arrow with my Thumb & index finger EFFORTLESSLY

Last edited:
Use a bag instead of foam. Foam heats up and melts the bolt right into the target. Use target tips..........

I have a bag target (Spyderweb) for field points but you can't shoot broadheads into a bag target. Broadhead targets are foam and I hate them.

I have a bag target (Spyderweb) for field points but you can't shoot broadheads into a bag target. Broadhead targets are foam and I hate them.
No need to shoot broadheads into a target if you shoot expandable broadheads of the same weight as field tips. Yes, they do shoot the same and expandables work just fine.

You know better than that. Would you shoot any gun without sighting it in? How about a BDC scope. Do you trust the factory to set the yardages for you? BDC scopes are on every crossbow. Being 10 yds off means a miss on game.

You know better than that. Would you shoot any gun without sighting it in? How about a BDC scope. Do you trust the factory to set the yardages for you? BDC scopes are on every crossbow. Being 10 yds off means a miss on game.
Muley............ do exactly what you want to do, but believe me, you're not always right. Todays crossbows, bolts, expandable broadheads and field tips, the same weight, shoot the same. Yeah, I shoot a crossbow a lot and I can assure you, I can put a 100gr field tip on and shoot to 60yds and do the same thing as accurate with a 100gr expandable to 60yds.
If you have to shoot broadheads to be sure, do so. But I can guarantee you, I'll do just fine :)

Back to the topic of the Knight 500.................

That's up to you. However, it's not important because I shoot a fixed head for elk. I come from hunting with a longbow and I always used fixed heads. I trust them better. The Mangus Stinger flies close to a field tip but not close enough to not sight them in.
I always like to keep things simple. With a CF gun or muzzleloader I always practice with my hunting load. So, even though I have a bag target. I wanted to just practice all the time with my hunting broadhead. I don't care if I chew up the target. It's the way I like to do it.

Use armor all on your arrows. First 8-10 inches. World of difference.

I have some arrow lube coming Tues. I got impatient and had to see how hard it was going to be without lube. I found out and the arrow is still in the target. :(

I had a 500 couple years back I sold it for a good price but it had two stocks the original and hunting stock with a ramrod you know that thing you need to reload while hunting !

Attachments

• 20180101_090621.jpg
    20180101_090621.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 18
I had a 500 couple years back I sold it for a good price but it had two stocks the original and hunting stock with a ramrod you know that thing you need to reload while hunting !
Update I just picked this rifle up from the guy I sold it to he never fired it and to boot he added a vortex viper pst 5-25x50 got all the Parker bullets the bh209 powder everything back at no cost I had a old customer that needed a big job done about 400k worth plus additional jobs in the future so he gave back to me pretty happy to Have this back !!

Update I just picked this rifle up from the guy I sold it to he never fired it and to boot he added a vortex viper pst 5-25x50 got all the Parker bullets the bh209 powder everything back at no cost I had a old customer that needed a big job done about 400k worth plus additional jobs in the future so he gave back to me pretty happy to Have this back !!
I looked at the 500 3yrs ago, but I got the Paramount instead. The 500 has really caught & held my interest though. I hardly ever hear anyone in any group talk about using them & I can't imagine why. Soooo, perhaps a separate thread to post your shooting with it. I'm looking forward to reading your updates.

I looked at the 500 3yrs ago, but I got the Paramount instead. The 500 has really caught & held my interest though. I hardly ever hear anyone in any group talk about using them & I can't imagine why. Soooo, perhaps a separate thread to post your shooting with it. I'm looking forward to reading your updates.
I'm looking forward to shooting it again I wish it was cooler here in Arizona I am hoping to enter a long range competition with it at some point soon. I think the price is what kept most away from the 500 but now that price doesn t seem to be that much anymore I guess I'll keep my updates coming thanks for the interest !!

I'm looking forward to shooting it again I wish it was cooler here in Arizona I am hoping to enter a long range competition with it at some point soon. I think the price is what kept most away from the 500 but now that price doesn t seem to be that much anymore I guess I'll keep my updates coming thanks for the interest !!
Can't resist heading to the range first thing in the am have the bullets sized and 209 weighed out will send report tomorrow

Latest posts

Back