Knight D.I.S.C .45 Value

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackalope

Reaction score
I happened upon a NIB Knight D.I.S.C .45 fluted stainless barrel, with a serial # in the 2500’s. From my research it should be a 1:20 twist barrel. I’ve wanted one for a while , but can’t hardly find the time to shoot the ones I already have. Will I be kicking myself for passing on it at $330?

Thanks, will see what happens. I as well found a used but in good shape MK 85 .45. Decisions decisions!

MK85 45cal are really really hard to find in nice shape. The few ive seen up for sale looked like hell.

If the DISC 45 is for sure a 1-20 its a bargain at $330. Even the 1-30 for that price is a good deal NIB.

If I go after the DISC I plan on offering $275 and measuring the twist to just double check. The MK is $300 but have only seen it in pictures.

MK85 45cal are really really hard to find in nice shape. The few ive seen up for sale looked like hell.

If the DISC 45 is for sure a 1-20 its a bargain at $330. Even the 1-30 for that price is a good deal NIB.
If I go after the DISC I plan on offering $275 and measuring the twist to just double check. The MK is $300 but have only seen it in pictures.

If you can pull the breech plug on the original D.I.S.C., you can point the barrel at a light and determine the twist rate without a rod. The barrels are 26", so you can start on a land or groove and follow it around to the end of the barrel. If it's a 1:20 twist, it will make over one (1.2 minus beech plug) complete revolution. If it is the 1:30, it will not make one (0.866 minus breech plug) complete revolution. Real easy!

The .45 caliber MK-85 barrels were 1:24 twist, just in case you didn't know that already? Much better twist rate than the 1:30 Knights, IMO.

I happened upon a NIB Knight D.I.S.C .45 fluted stainless barrel, with a serial # in the 2500’s. From my research it should be a 1:20 twist barrel. I’ve wanted one for a while , but can’t hardly find the time to shoot the ones I already have. Will I be kicking myself for passing on it at $330?
Yep, you will kick yourself daily for passing on a deal like that. They are worth much more than that, used (in vgc). You would never lose a penny on that deal for sure. Sweet rifles and rare to find one NIB.

Its been a while since i looked into it but it might have been Wiseman or Lothar Walther that made the MK85 45cal 1-24s for Knight. Wiseman bought McMillian in 1983. Its not a very common twist for 458 but its a good twist for all around use. It will shoot bullets that a 1-30 would struggle with shooting.

Atleast a few guys here im sure know the history better but all the Lothars ive seen were chromoly and and all the Wisemans ive seen were SS. The only MK85 45cal i got a good look at was around the #3000 range and it was SS. So if it is a Lothar its one of the best SS metals used for barrels. LW50 is great barrel steel.

Its been a while since i looked into it but it might have been Wiseman or Lothar Walther that made the MK85 45cal 1-24s for Knight. Wiseman bought McMillian in 1983. Its not a very common twist for 458 but its a good twist for all around use. It will shoot bullets that a 1-30 would struggle with shooting.

Atleast a few guys here im sure know the history better but all the Lothars ive seen were chromoly and and all the Wisemans ive seen were SS. The only MK85 45cal i got a good look at was around the #3000 range and it was SS. So if it is a Lothar its one of the best SS metals used for barrels. LW50 is great barrel steel.
I might add that a Offhand Record was broken at the Nationals in Friendship , This fall it was held by a remington Ultimate shot by Tim Marsh. His record was broken by Morgan Greenly shooting a Knight .50 cal. in a 1-24 twist.

I like 1-24 for 50cal but in a 45cal i like 1-20 better. In the MK85 45 though its fine considering the weight and speed limitations of a plunger gun. One of the larger 45cal conicals would be a bruiser in the little MK and its not exactly the best platform for the super high BC 40cal bullets you can get now. I think it would be killer though for guys wanting to shoot mid weight conicals and a few of the bullets approaching an inch in length at less velocity than you would need in a 1-30. Such as the 200gr Lehigh/Bloodline. I never could get it to shoot that great in a 1-30.

You can probably get a 200gr sabot load moving 2000fps or more with Triple7 in the MK without brutal recoil.

Last edited:

The MK .45 is a stainless with black composit stock, hard to tell by the pictures if it's the Lothar or Wiseman barrel. I have an appointment set to take a look at it.

Yep, you will kick yourself daily for passing on a deal like that. They are worth much more than that, used (in vgc). You would never lose a penny on that deal for sure. Sweet rifles and rare to find one NIB.
I'm going after the MK first, then hopfully in the very near future I can pick up the DISC as well. :wall:

Both are good barrels but if its a Lothar it would be a great find. Crowns are different on the 50s. I got no idea if its similar on the 45s. Take a pic of the crown if you can. Wiseman crown on the 50cals was sorta like a funnel. Lothar crown in the pics ive seen is more rounded.

Sounds like your best option, buy them both before they get away. You take care of them and you can always get your money back out of them.

I might add that a Offhand Record was broken at the Nationals in Friendship , This fall it was held by a remington Ultimate shot by Tim Marsh. His record was broken by Morgan Greenly shooting a Knight .50 cal. in a 1-24 twist.

Bob I'm thinking that Tim shoots an Ultimate Firearms rifle, not the Remington Ultimate, at least he has for years.
Congrats to Morgan Greenly. Those off hand shooters are excellent marksmen.

Back