Knight Disc .50/.32 Primer Conversion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnum

Reaction score
I thought somebody on here could steer me in the right direction for a problem I have with my relined disc rifle. I had a .32, 1-30" barrel liner in stalled in rusted barrel .50 last year. It's accurate shooting 20 grns. 3f 777. The problem I have is using the original orange discs with win.209 primers is the breech gets very dirty with crud. It takes me so long to clean it up after a day at the range. Could I convert this action over to # 11 caps? Would this eliminate most of the blowback crud? I did read something about converting to 209s without the disc but thought maybe the #11s would be more accurate shooting such a small charge,(just my thought). Also if there is a way to do this where would one obtain the parts? And yes it is heavy but I don't mind that!
Thanks guys.

Magnum said:
I thought somebody on here could steer me in the right direction for a problem I have with my relined disc rifle. I had a .32, 1-30" barrel liner in stalled in rusted barrel .50 last year. It's accurate shooting 20 grns. 3f 777. The problem I have is using the original orange discs with win.209 primers is the breech gets very dirty with crud. It takes me so long to clean it up after a day at the range. Could I convert this action over to # 11 caps?

I am sure you could but it would be just as dirty - if not more dirty than a FPJ, well wait if you are only shooting 20 grs. I really am not sure but it would be dirty.

I you switched to a NFPJ - bare primer - you could clean it to nothing... There are still some of the older Lehigh conversion available and it you can get one them you would not even need to change the bolt.

Would this eliminate most of the blowback crud? I did read something about converting to 209s without the disc but thought maybe the #11s would be more accurate shooting such a small charge,(just my thought). Also if there is a way to do this where would one obtain the parts? And yes it is heavy but I don't mind that!
Thanks guys.[/quote]

Since you say you still use the Orange Disc, I think to go to Bare primer you still have to change the bolt over to a RPJ bolt first then install the Lehigh PB and adapter. I remember seeing some of the old Orange disc somewhere that had a #11 nipple inside of them for #11 caps. Don't know if you can still find those. :huh?: Don't surprise me that the rifle shoots well with only 20 grains of 777 3F. I use 20 of Pyro P in my 1 in 30. :yeah:

ShawnT
I dint know Knight ever made the orange disc to hold a #11 cap. I'd like to try that setup and see what happens. I'll have to search them out.
Thanks

Magnum said:
ShawnT
I dint know Knight ever made the orange disc to hold a #11 cap. I'd like to try that setup and see what happens. I'll have to search them out.
Thanks
I just found a picture of them. I remember another Member posting about them but have not seen them yet. This is what it looks like. Actually looks like it could be easily made up to fit your original orange disc.

those are real popular with some tournament guys, and they search them out and buy em up. REAL hard to find. Those Knight .32 conversions are really catching on. :D :poke:

There is something a good sealed bare primer plug would add...

The ability to shoot a PRB over 300fps without any powder. So in theory you could lower your powder charge too and still get the same fps.

I'd like to know the effects the W209s have pushing a 20 grain charge vs. the #11caps. Sure would like to get a few to try and see.

I might have a couple, I'll check when I get off work in the morning.

I'm sorry, I thought I had a few but I must have given them away.

I do on occasion get that mystery flyer. I was thinking maybe the 209s would be causing that.

Back