Knight MK .45

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackalope

Reaction score
In a previous post I talked about finding a couple .45 cal Knights. I ended up picking up the MK 85 stainless .45. When looking at it the barrel looked fantastic, as well as the rest of the gun. It came with the original #11 plunger and plug along with a 209 plunger and plug.
TV2TUne.jpg

4CHZvGz.jpg

dEXEXEp.jpg

Looks like a rebored .36 to .45 cal?

If you look at the caliber stamp, the 4 is struck over what appears to be a 3, and the 5 appears to be struck over a 6? Looks like a Green Mountain crown on an 8 land and groove bore?

That's an odd one for sure!

Have you checked the rate of twist? That might tell the story. The old MK-85 .45 calibers were 1:24. So were the .36 calibers.

What is the serial number? That is definitely newer barrel marking. Mine says 45 Cal on the left-hand side and black powder only on the righthand side.

Have you checked the rate of twist? That might tell the story. The old MK-85 .45 calibers were 1:24. So were the .36 calibers.

Right after I posted I ran and checked :D Best I can tell it’s 1:20. Tight patch with tape straight up with the sight. 1/4 turn was 5”, 1/2 turn was 10”, full turn was 20”.

What is the serial number? That is definitely newer barrel marking. Mine says 45 Cal on the left-hand side and black powder only on the righthand side.
S 81xxx

Left side has nothing on it. The picture of the stamped 45 is the right side.

I guess I better have paid closer attention. The guy I got it from said he got it from a guy in Iowa when he lived there. He said he only shot it 5 or 6 times after getting it. The stock does feel pretty skinny.

Busta,

Did they make and MK-85 in .36cal?
I have an LK in .36cal. I did not know there was an MK 36cal too. Definitely looks hand stamped and not the original engraving. Interesting find though.

Busta,

Did they make and MK-85 in .36cal?
I have an LK in .36cal. I did not know there was an MK 36cal too. Definitely looks hand stamped and not the original engraving. Interesting find though.

According to my MK-85 Owners Manual they did. They were also supposed to make it in a BK-89, although I don't recall ever seeing one other than in a picture.

I do remember reading about someone having one way back in the early 2000's.

Right after I posted I ran and checked :D Best I can tell it’s 1:20. Tight patch with tape straight up with the sight. 1/4 turn was 5”, 1/2 turn was 10”, full turn was 20”.

I guess I better have paid closer attention. The guy I got it from said he got it from a guy in Iowa when he lived there. He said he only shot it 5 or 6 times after getting it. The stock does feel pretty skinny.

Might have been someone that worked for Knight, and had a .36 caliber rebored to a fast twist 1:20 .45 caliber, and recrowned?

That would be my best guess, since it is indeed a 1:20 twist. They might have had Green Mountain do it when they were doing the 8 land and groove 1:20 twist .45 caliber D. I. S. C. rifles? Sure looks like a Green Mountain crown, but that could have been done by anyone with a lathe.

According to my MK-85 Owners Manual they did. They were also supposed to make it in a BK-89, although I don't recall ever seeing one other than in a picture.

I do remember reading about someone having one way back in the early 2000's.

Thanks, Never knew of the MK 36.

At first I was a little disappointed that this wasn’t a true MK 85 .45. But now i’m pretty excited that it’s a rebore because I love the MK’s and I’ve always wanted a 1:20 twist. It’s like having a MK/D.I.S.C all in one. This mutt cost me $275.

Toby used to work for Knight, and he wrote that there were only a handful of them made.

"The Knight MK-85 may not have been the first in-line ... (A very small handful of .36 caliber rifles were also produced.) ..."

http://namlhunt.com/ml-collecting-inlines1.html

From my MK-85 Owners Manual.

IMG_20190623_171620486.jpg
IMG_20190623_171646381~2.jpg

That throws in another twist, because it says the .36 cal Squirrel Rifles were 22" barrels. He said his was 23", and the receiver is one of the newer MK's. So maybe they made some with longer barrels later in the game???

Last edited:
As long as it was done right a MK 45 fast twist is cool. A 36cal would have been a super rare find though. Never seen one for sale ever. TB occasionally gets a few of his specs wrong but overall he is pretty accurate when it comes to older Knights. I bet he had quite a few prototypes that never made it into production. Ive seen him mention a Elite or Extreme 45 with a twist faster than 1-30. Thought he said it was a 1-24 just as one example. That would have been a cool rifle to find.

Ive seen some real oddballs show up from time to time. Sportsmansguide or warehouse had some 45cal 1-30 light contour Wolverines once. Barrels looked like Elites but the action was a plunger. Really wish i would have grabbed one of those when they blew them out for cheap.

Interesting as heck. My 45 caliber mk85 is a blued model. She is still a virgin but not for much longer. I could tell yours was a later model mk85 from the pics. I'm interested in hearing how it shoots for you.

I'm interested in hearing how it shoots for you.
I’am as well. I need to read up on a .45. I paper patch for my Rat Rod Renegade with a .45 LRH barrel. I plan on some sabot 200 gr and some big lead.

You should slug the bore, and see what the land to land and groove dimensions are.

Latest posts

Back