Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist Paper Patch Bullet Test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis1

Reaction score
I went out this morning to try 2 different bullets in my New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist, One of my Favorite Paper Patch Bullets that i have been Shooting for Several years, i have shot this exact same bullet to 500 Yards in my 1:30 Twist GM LRH Barrel in a TC Hawken Stock, With Peep Sights. I have turned out some impressive Groups over the last few years with this Particular Bullet, I started Shooting this Bullet not long after i Started shooting Muzzleloaders, This Bullet FLAT OUT Shoots! This morning’s go around proved no different in this New Knight Mountaineer 1:20 Twist. If i were a competitive Shooter i would NO DOUBT Shoot these against ANY Bullet out there, BRING IT ON! These things will hang with ANYTHING!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Fb9DtcGAF_w" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

The Bullet after i Patch them, I short patch these. I get these Bullets by the Box of 50 from Buffalo Arms, they are a Swaged Cupped Base Bullet, .444-400 (.444 Diameter, 400 Grains) Quality Control with these is IMPECCABLE, The majority will weigh to the 10th of a Grain of eachother (Again, they are Swaged, NOT CAST) 

If i do my part, this little Bullet will do it’s   :Red tup:
B4-B49165-A0-F1-4-ACA-ADA2-335-B1-FB28-A57.jpg

The little 300 Grain Grease Groove Bullet was a NO GO, It played out about like i figured it would, But i needed to know for sure. NO DOUBT i could get this MUCH better, but this was just me wanting to Tinker around with something Different. I have MUCH Better Bullets, And Several of them for this Particular Rifle, and Rate of Twist.

Lewis you make some really nice looking paper patch bullets, wish I still had the skills. Getting to damn cripple-up any more, my hunting partner says "you have to be tuff to grow old" starting to think he's correct ...   :x   :Questuon:

Buck Conner said:
Lewis you make some really nice looking paper patch bullets, wish I still had the skills. Getting to damn cripple-up any more, my hunting partner says "you have to be tuff to grow old" starting to think he's correct ...   :x   :Questuon:
Thank you Buck, Paper Patching for Muzzleloaders is what really got me interested in the Sport of Muzzleloading. I have put forth a LOT of time in these Bullets, There’s Not much, if Anything I haven’t done with them :Red tup:   I enjoy tinkering with these Paper Patch Bullets, Right down to Cutting the little Papers. I have always said if a Guy is a Tinkerer/Hobbyist, and Enjoys Reloading Shells Etc. He would LOVE Paper Patching Bullets. 
   I really like my Paper Patch for Target/Bench Shooting where i am in no hurry, After each shot i can take my time and Swab, then Dry the Bore good. For Hunting I really prefer 1 of my tighter fitting Grease Groove Bullets. Trying to Reload a Paper Patched Bullet on a Swiss Fouled Bore proved DISASTROUS For me, Swiss leaves a Dry/Rough Fouling, And especially so after Firing a Dry Paper Patch Bullet where NO Lube is used. I was preparing for a Deer hunt my First year with these Paper Patch Bullets, I went out 4-5 Mornings in a Row at Daylight and Shot, I was mimicking a hunting situation, I was UNABLE to successfully Reload a Fouled Bore 1 Single time Without Tearing the Paper up. Talk about bummed out! After all the Time and effort i had put in, I wasn’t Confident using my Patched Bullets.

Idahoron made a Video in Response to my Problem, Ron is able to Reload Over n Over with his Paper Patch Bullets WITHOUT Swabbing, The difference is 2 Things, Ron sizes his Bullets to .446 for his .45 Cal, and he uses Pyrodex P Powder. I size to .449-.450 (I prefer a MUCH Snugger fitting Bullet for Hunting) and i use Swiss REAL Blackpowder. Pyrodex P leaves a MUCH MUCH softer Goo Type of Fouling, Where Swiss Real Blackpowder leaves a Dry ROUGH Fouling, The best way i can describe it is the Bore resembles a coating of 80 Grit Sand Paper or close there abouts after i fire a Dry Paper Patch Bullet. Swabbing Between Shots is a MUST for me. A guy could carry along a little Sealed Container of Pre Soaked Alcohol Patches, Along with Dry ones for Swabbing and Drying as quickly as possible after a Shot, But that just ads another Element to already Busy Schedule :D. I actually thought about Switching to Pyrodex P JUST for Paper Patch Bullet Hunting, I bought a Can of it, i got CONSISTENT Hangfires OVER N OVER, I poured that Can of powder out in a Line on the Ground and Lit it on Fire :D I will Stick to my Swiss Real Blackpowder :Red tup:

Back