Knight rifles....not the newer ones

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinbrian

Reaction score
I cannot speak for the newer ones. My very first Knight rifle was the Black Knight. It was in the early 90's. It was my first inline. I had been PASSIONATELY shooting sidehammers (I've had several new Englanders,....a CVA Plainsman........sidehammer shotguns......etc). But THEN......I got the KNIGHT!!!!! I was excited. I mean, I had scoped my New Englander and could get 1.5 to 2 inch groups at 100 yards with 200 grain or 250 grain sbaoted XTP's. Have taken many many deer with that gun (I had several versions.....black plastic....wood.....extra 12 ga shotgun barrel......etc) I could usually quickly find a load that would be "Skoal can" accurate at 100 yards. Then......I saved up $333 and had the Sporting goods man order me a Black Knight. I wanted an MK85 Predator but just couldn't wait. I WANTED A KNIGHT!!!! The commericals on the Hunting shows about Knight Rifles where many. And they set me to lusting for a Knight Rifle. Well, I got one. By then, I had developed, learned, whatever ya want to call it, a consistent Range technique. Making sure my scoped rifle wasn't canted....damp/dry patching (before it was posted as being the WAY to go). Goex powder...FFFg. Never used Pyrodex. I also used Swiss Black Powder (better than Goex...by leaps and boucds......IN MY OPINION.
But.....the Black Knight. I watched the VCR tape (of course, my new MK that I recently bought has it. I memorized it so I am going to leave this one unopened in case it becomes a collectors item someday 30 years for now. (if I make it.....I'm 50)
I tried every conceivable load. Even the little stack of 260 grain lead bullets/black sabots that came with the rifle. My groups never got tighter than a softball.....on a good still day. Souund like I am knocking Knights doesn't it? Well.....I keep buying them. And always will as long as they are available.
I had a 45 Disc Elite that DID actually live up to the old adage: "It will shoot everything well".
I was in the MLing thing in a big way up until about 5 years ago when I discovered the European PCP airguns. I have a 25 cal Kalibrgun Cricket that will shoot MOA at 100 yards (with no breeze) but that's another story. I love shooting those things. I love shooting. I love muzzleloaders. More than my old 742 Rem 30-06. It's boringly accurate. To be an auto-loader.
This MK85 will NOT get the better of me. It is proving to be finicky. I do my best thinking when I am at home and get a "grip" on myself. I am rescoping it with a good scope. I already have steel bases and rings. Bases have been blue loctited....etc etc. The thing is.....I simply have never owned MLers with such tight bores. I guess I could carry my three piece CVA brass range rod to the stand with me in a fanny pack.
These Barnes Expanders....with their elongated shape......with the correct sabot (HPH12's ...which are stock with these bullets) are just too tight. But I am going to try them today with the blue sabot that comes with the Blue tiped Spitfires (not the boatatiled with yellow sabot). I have some HPH24's on order from Connie at MMP. I need some green Harvesters because I cannot load the 240 grain XTP's (.423) with the MMP green sabot. Maybe my bore needs about 100 strokes of JB Compound. Coundn't hurt. I would do it from the breech end so as not to hurt the crown. Shawn has given me an idea. 300 grain bullets. But they will be available tomorrow. The gun shop in town has 300 grain SST's with red sabot. I will start shooting at 50 yards and keep it there until I can wad them up at that distance. It'll be fun. And frustrating. But fun again. There is no logical reson why this MK can't shoot well. I think it has to do with correct sabot/bullet fit. I am stuck on 85 grains of Trip seven FFFg. Maybe I need to try FFG? So much to try. I know that y'all are growing frustrated with me, But....still.....I appreciate you feedback and always have. Maybe if I conquer this...I can be a help to someone else. But right now....I am the man who needs help. (probably mentally too) lol Y'all have a great Sunday.

try some 240 gr. xtps w/green sabots, theyve shot good in every Knight Ive owned from Wolverines to MK-85`s, Predators etc. Usually less then 2.0 in. at 100 yds, killed a whole lot of deer with them... My Black Diamond really likes them also.

In my thread called New MK85 Blackhawk.....I have some pics of my shooting today. There is a two shot group of the 240 grain xtps with green sabots. How much powder do you use??? And what size? FFg or FFFg??? Thanks

Kevin, I use Pyrodex RS 2f 85-90 grs. or 85 gr. of Goex 3f both loads shoot equally well out of my Knight Black Knight or T/C Black Diamond... have used the pyro. load in at least 7-8 Knights and 2-3 T/C`s and shot less then 2 in. at 100 in all of them.

Thanks dbowling. After I have tried some FFg Trip Seven......I will go to Pyrodex........reluctantly. I used it at one time and.....well.....I just HOP that TRIP seven works but I will remain open minded.

Latest posts

Back