Knight T-Bolt problem and question......

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harry1

Reaction score
I have a friend who is using a Knight T-bolt and is experiencing occasional percussion cap no-fires. He is using CCI #11 caps. The last no-fire was this past weekend when he was lined up on a buck and all he got was the click when the firing pin hits the cap. Disappointed, he said that the cap has a good dent on the top of it and that the insides are broked up and yellow powder showing. I have not seen the gun but it happend a few times while he practiced at the range and I suggested then that he give the bolt and nipple top and breech plug a good cleaning. I also suggested that he make sure that he cap was seated down really good. Apparently it is still happening occasionally. Does anyone have experience with this rifle and problem? Would it be beneficial and can this rifle be converted to shotgun primer/plastic jacket? Help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Have hime find either some RWS caps or some new Remington caps... I have heard that CCI caps sometimes fail.

are all of the misfires coming from the same tin of caps? might be the caps in that case. if its not the caps, i would think 1. try a new nipple 2. maybe the mainspring has weakened over time and needs to be replaced 3. maybe the gun is dirty and this is slowing the hammer fall.

if it were me, i would suspect the cleaning 1st and the nipple 2nd as the most likely causes of the misfires (if its not a bad tin of caps).

knight tbolt problem and question

i would do what was posted in the earlier post and if that dosent solve the problem call knight they sell a kit for the 209 primers. but make sure the primers are legal for hunting where you are going to hunt!!

Do the misfires go off if he tries them a second time? If so he might need to just polish down the nipple diameter one RCH :wink: and/or start pushing the cap on the nipple with some considerable force.

Doesn't the Tbolt have a secondary safety that might also add to the problem if not adjusted properly?

I shoot RWS #11 percussion caps, and I have never had a cap fail to fire in my plunger style inline (a ULA M90). I bought 1,000 of these caps in '93 my first time around the ML loop, and I started reusing them this year when I got back into it.

I restarted using an open tin of caps, and they all go bang.

I don't see any RWS caps at the common catalog sources, so I will have to check a local ML store.

jim

Thanks guys. I will relay all this to him and maybe get to the bottom of it.

Back