KNIGHT TIME.....again

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregK1

Reaction score
My .501 / 250 Thors came so I headed back to the range. They shot exceptionally well (3 shots/1" at 100 yards) but not until I upped the charge to 120 grains of BH209. The groups definitely open up with a hot barrel. The first group is with a hot barrel, the second group started with a hot barrel & then I let it cool for 10 minutes between each of the next 3 shots. So shot one is high & the next three are very tight :)Average velocity was 2084fps.

The only issue that I had was 2 shots that went off "soft" & only registered around 1100fps. Unfortunately, I found no acceptable reason for this & I can't take a chance on it happening during a hunt so the remainder of my 50 pack will go on the shelf for now. I did switch out the box of CCI Mag primers for another from the same lot & never had another issue. 

The HOT barrel group.
null_zpsf2b8e44f.jpg

The COLD barrel group (shots 2,3, & 4)

null_zps337e9978.jpg

Then I decided to try the Bloodline .458/220's again....with 120gr BH209, 2 next to each other & a "pull" on the third one. The fourth was just an adjustment for 100 yard height. These do shoot the tightest groups & since I don't personally know anyone with first hand terminal performance experience, it may just be another reason to give them a try. Last week I shot a 7/8" group, this week was 1 1/8"
Average velocity 2197fps.
null_zps51f76dd1.jpg

:D 

Good group you have there :!: At this rate Greg, soon you'll post a target where all your shots are going to be in one hole. GOOD SHOOTING BUDDY :!: :!: 

Ray.........;)

Thanks guys. I haven't gotten totally used to this Knight yet & it is a bit different but groups are coming along.

Ray, you know I'm looking for that ragged one hole group, even though I've seen centerfires that don't shoot this good!

GregK said:
Thanks guys. I haven't gotten totally used to this Knight yet & it is a bit different but groups are coming along.

Ray, you know I'm looking for that ragged one hole group, even though I've seen centerfires that don't shoot this good!
Great shooting Greg. It will all come together for you one day if you keep on going the way you are:D  Like I said before a better scope:twisted:
Carlos

Great shooting!  I'm interested in the shooting your doing with the bloodlines.

cvilorio said:
GregK said:

Great shooting Greg. It will all come together for you one day if you keep on going the way you are:D  Like I said before a better scope:twisted:
Carlos
I'm tryin buddy :)Maybe that's what I need to save money for huh?

biddler2 said:
Great shooting!  I'm interested in the shooting your doing with the bloodlines.
I'll keep posting & answer any questions you have

Great shooting Greg! I have 6 of the .458/300 Bloodlines if you are interested in a trade. I believe the 250 Bloodline you shot are a .451 dia. right? Thanks for the informative post. PM me if you are interested in the trade.

Scott

Do you have any PT Golds Greg? I'm curious how they'll do compared to the other bullets.

Nice range report and shooting GregK :!: Awesome velocities you're getting too.
I would have guessed the "soft" shots would have been be related to poor ignition (i.e.,primers).

Thanks guys. I will keep playing with the Knight. Pete....I did shoot the 260 PT Golds & they shot very well.....as usual.

I think Sabotloader's favorite bloodline bullet that he shoots in his is the 275 grainer.

Muley I agree with Greg, the PT Golds have shot great in the rifles I've tried them. I think the best part it is a great range bullet but also a good hunting bullet.

Harvester sent me some samples. and a catalog. I learned something about the PT Golds from the catalog. I always thought they were a pure lead bullet with a copper wash. I wasn't even close. It turns out they have 3% antimony in the lead, and it's not a copper wash, but a copper jacket bonded to the lead. It's no wonder they perform so well. If it was a CF bullet, it would be a premium bullet.

I'm thinking the 300gr PT with 100-110gr of BH for everything I hunt. Cheap enough to use for all practice, and hunting. I like the idea of using one load for everything, and knowing just what it will do.

Sorry for the hijack.

They make a good/tough/accurate bullet. Construction is very similar to Speer & Fusion bullets.

I seem to remember his shipping was high. Does Grafs sell the bullets, and CR sabots?

I guess I could have gone and looked. :oops:

I just checked. It looks like Graf doesn't handle the PT Gold unless he doesn't list what he doesn't have in stock. Even Harvester is out of the 260gr, but has the 300gr.

Muley said:
Harvester sent me some samples. and a catalog. I learned something about the PT Golds from the catalog. I always thought they were a pure lead bullet with a copper wash. I wasn't even close. It turns out they have 3% antimony in the lead, and it's not a copper wash, but a copper jacket bonded to the lead. It's no wonder they perform so well. If it was a CF bullet, it would be a premium bullet.

I'm thinking the 300gr PT with 100-110gr of BH for everything I hunt. Cheap enough to use for all practice, and hunting. I like the idea of using one load for everything, and knowing just what it will do.

Sorry for the hijack.
Not quite. The PT Gold is a glorified Rainer pistol bullet with a tip on it. If it was a centerfire bullet shot a centerfire speed it would be the equivalent to a water balloon hitting a brick wall. They work well at muzzleloader speeds but I would not shoot one at an animal with my smokeless muzzleloader unless I knew I was going to take a boiler room shot or maybe using the heavier 300 grain bullet. No doubt they are good bullets but I would not agree that they are premium.

Latest posts

Back