Knight Ultralite .45 with BH 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scienceguy

Reaction score
For those of you who shoot this rifle and use BH 209 powder, what loads have you found to be most accurate and useful for deer hunting? Do you prefer the all plastic jacket or bare primer, and for what reason. I'm thinking about getting an Ultralite 45 cal. and am interested in finding what has worked for others.

For those of you who shoot this rifle and use BH 209 powder, what loads have you found to be most accurate and useful for deer hunting? Do you prefer the all plastic jacket or bare primer, and for what reason. I'm thinking about getting an Ultralite 45 cal. and am interested in finding what has worked for others.

It would be my suggestion that you order a Red Plastic Jacket (FPJ) model from Knight and then modify that with a drop in primer adapter and breech plug from Lehigh Defense. The 'bare primer' model from Knight requires you to feed the primer into the rails on the nose of the bolt. It is not all that hard but for myself it is much easier to just drop the primer in the adapter opening. In addition the breech plug you will from Lehigh is 17-4 Stainless more durable than the 416 Stainless that Knight uses. Al the vent liner can be removed from the Lehigh for replacement when necessary with the Knight plug the vent liner is fixed into the breech plug and not removable.

The Knight will shoot just about any bullet accurately.

It would be my suggestion that you order a Red Plastic Jacket (FPJ) model from Knight and then modify that with a drop in primer adapter and breech plug from Lehigh Defense. The 'bare primer' model from Knight requires you to feed the primer into the rails on the nose of the bolt. It is not all that hard but for myself it is much easier to just drop the primer in the adapter opening. In addition the breech plug you will from Lehigh is 17-4 Stainless more durable than the 416 Stainless that Knight uses. Al the vent liner can be removed from the Lehigh for replacement when necessary with the Knight plug the vent liner is fixed into the breech plug and not removable.

The Knight will shoot just about any bullet accurately.

do you have a link to Lehigh or there web site?
Because I was thinking about getting knight bare primer but I don’t want it know after you said this.

another question will a bare primer from a disc elite fit the UL

do you have a link to Lehigh or there web site?
Because I was thinking about getting knight bare primer but I don’t want it know after you said this.

Primer Adapter

Bare Primer Adapter, Knight DISC Elite/Extreme (lehighdefense.com)

This piece drops right in the nose of the FPJ breech plug

IMG-0002.jpg

IMG-1221.jpg

This is the face of the Knight Bare Primer Bolt

Mount-Bolt-Nose.jpg

another question will a bare primer from a disc elite fit the UL

No the DISC plug is shorter than the Mountaineer/ULite plugs

Breech Plug Body, Bare Primer, Knight Mountaineer and Ultralight (lehighdefense.com)

As long as you are cruising on the Lehigh sight take a look at these bullets....

Lehigh Defense - Bullets - Muzzleloader

The .458x260CF-HP Sabotless is an awesome bullet and in combination with the BH load it really can be shot beyond 200 yards.

Ready.jpg

45-260-Sabotless.jpg

458-260-Sabotless-Target.jpg

If you would prefer a bullet in a sabot then this one could really be a good one for you. I use the MMP tan 40x45 or another option is the Harvester options.

.400 Controlled Fracturing® Muzzleloader 215gr Bullet (lehighdefense.com)

I shoot BH with a 120gr. by volume and really prefer the extra velocity and energy. Although both of these can be shot with less powder if you prefer.

Last edited:
Primer Adapter

Bare Primer Adapter, Knight DISC Elite/Extreme (lehighdefense.com)

This piece drops right in the nose of the FPJ breech plug

IMG-0002.jpg

IMG-1221.jpg

No the DISC plug is shorter than the Mountaineer/ULite plugs

Breech Plug Body, Bare Primer, Knight Mountaineer and Ultralight (lehighdefense.com)

As long as you are cruising on the Lehigh sight take a look at these bullets....

Lehigh Defense - Bullets - Muzzleloader

The .458x260CF-HP Sabotless is an awesome bullet and in combination with the BH load it really can be shot beyond 200 yards.

Ready.jpg

45-260-Sabotless.jpg

458-260-Sabotless-Target.jpg

If you would prefer a bullet in a sabot then this one could really be a good one for you. I use the MMP tan 40x45 or another option is the Harvester options.

.400 Controlled Fracturing® Muzzleloader 215gr Bullet (lehighdefense.com)

I shoot BH with a 120gr. by volume and really prefer the extra velocity and energy. Although both of these can be shot with less powder if you prefer.
Thank very much I’ll definitely look into what you shared.

I just got back from my IL deer hunt,45 cal ‘Elite’ is what I normally use. I took two deer, 20 minutes apart.

The 1st was with a 195 grain Barnes .400 in a Crush-Rib sabot, 115 grains(volume) of B209. Since they shoot almost to the same point, I often mix in 200 grain XTP bullets. The 2nd deer was with this reload, DRT. The 1st was a lasered 120 yards, the 2nd 80.

I’ve taken deer with 80-120 grains of B209, doesn’t have to be any ‘right’ charge. I’m mostly just set up to stack deer, settled on what works for me. I use the Lehigh plug, removable vent liner.

Knights 45 1:20 (and 1:18 K500) have proven to be great shooters with multiple loads.
I prefer heavy conicals with a lighter powder charge. 500gr conicals over 75grV
Have won my share of matches & records with it.
Good luck

I just got back from my IL deer hunt,45 cal ‘Elite’ is what I normally use. I took two deer, 20 minutes apart.

The 1st was with a 195 grain Barnes .400 in a Crush-Rib sabot, 115 grains(volume) of B209. Since they shoot almost to the same point, I often mix in 200 grain XTP bullets. The 2nd deer was with this reload, DRT. The 1st was a lasered 120 yards, the 2nd 80.

I’ve taken deer with 80-120 grains of B209, doesn’t have to be any ‘right’ charge. I’m mostly just set up to stack deer, settled on what works for me. I use the Lehigh plug, removable vent liner.

I thought Illinois has a 44cal minimum bullet requirement.

Second the 44 cal minimum, I have been looking for a conical to load in my 45 omega and knight disc extreme that is not a powerbelt.

13D3B5D3-C08E-4250-B689-0A0449E7F2CF.jpeg

alot of grey area. I always interpretted it as.45 projectiles, but now im reading it as the mz cal itself being .45 or greater

No its pretty clear actually and that is the legal definition regardless. Unlike some states that would let you use it in during "firearms seasons" but not in the ML season.
https://www2.illinois.gov/dnr/hunting/pages/huntingdevicesandammunition.aspx
  • Legal Ammunition
  • For shotguns and muzzleloading firearms, the minimum size of the projectile shall be .44 caliber. A wad or sleeve is not considered a projectile or a part of the projectile.

Last edited:
Yes unfortunately it is spelled out in the ammunition section. The real question is why? It is legal to hunt with my 10 mm revolver, which uses a 40 cal bullet, but not my MZ. Maybe the folks in Chicago are concerned about us turning a MZ into a long range deer killing weapon.

Yes unfortunately it is spelled out in the ammunition section. The real question is why? It is legal to hunt with my 10 mm revolver, which uses a 40 cal bullet, but not my MZ. Maybe the folks in Chicago are concerned about us turning a MZ into a long range deer killing weapon.

It already is and has been for over 100 years. 45cal fast twists have dominated competitions for ages. Those same loads will wack any deer flat. As far as energy they are 300 yard killers all day long with the right load. Illinois even allows SMLs so make that 500yards and beyond. You just need to do it with full bore projectiles.

Back