Knight Wolverine Remodel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Except for a coat of matte clear coat the Wolverine is finally finished. The gun received a new scope and a coat of paint. I bedded the action and free floated the barrel. I don?t know if the bedding is going to negatively affect the accuracy due to the location of the action screw of not. I was just hoping to eliminate any POA changes that could arise from stock removal and reinstallation.

Here is the stock ready for the bedding compound

DSC00761.jpg

Here is what it looked like after I removed the stock. I had zero issues and look forwarding to bedding my Savage now. This was my first time bedding anything and boy was I nervous. I used JB Weld and Kiwi shoe wax as a release agent.

DSC00772.jpg

Here is the stock after I drilled out a channel for the ramrod and did some crude dremeling as a little touch up here and there. If the bedding doesn?t negatively affect the accuracy I?ll probably clean it up a little more.

DSC00784.jpg

Here is what it looks like after the paint job and the new Nikon Omega added. The pictures exaggerate the glare of the present clear coat. Eventually I?ll get the matte clear coat but it?s not on my priority list. The paint used was Rust-Oleum American Accents Stone series of spray paint. The painting was VERY easy to do. I?m planning on doing a couple more stocks. The textured paint really puts some grip on the stock and adds a little ?flare.? I?m really happy with how it looks. Additionally the scope is a great fit on this gun. It is for my girlfriend and the additional eye relief that it has is very comforting. Optically, I haven?t had it on the range yet, but for the price ($140) I don?t think you can come close to in terms of ?bang for the buck..?

DSC00778.jpg

DSC00782.jpg

Next up is some range time. I know the gun shoots good with 200gr .40 XTP?s out of the blue MMP sabot. I?m going to order some Harvesters and give them a go also. Whatever works the best will get launched at some deer this fall. I think I was using 85 or 90 grains of T7 FFF out of it two years ago and will probably stick with it. The double safety feature, the relatively short barrel, a scope with lots of eye relief and an overall well balanced rifle, in my mind, make this the perfect rifle for a youth, or small framed hunter. Hopefully will get to the range this week, to see if the bedding affected its previously very good accuracy.

That is some dern good looking work Younghunter! I can't wait to hear how it shoots. Paint job looks great too. I have a stainless Knight Bighorn , and you've done went and put an idea into my head.

Looks real nice! 8) From what I have heard, you will want to get that textured paint locked in with that clear coat before using it.

Busta-

I guess should clarify. It does have 3 coats of clear coat on in the pictures. All I had on hand was a gloss finish. Before deer season I will apply one with a matte finish just to cut down on the glare.

younghunter_86:
Really nice job ! Since it's for your girl friend I can use the saying... you did "make a silk purse out a sow's ear". :D

I can't imagine that bedding job hurt a thing... gotta be better. Sharp looking gun.

Latest posts

Back