KRB & Tripple

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flint head

Reaction score
Are these two a dying pair? I really wanted a camo/SS KRB topped with a 3x9 Conquest but would this be money wasted? Will BH send this fine combo to muzzleloader heaven? I don't know the crystal ball is fuzzy for me... I sold one of my bows to buy a Rolling Block and I think I'll still go for it, after all it's still a fine shooting easy to clean gun. What about a dangerous game or African hunt where one would need to shoot a 450 or 500 grain bullet, BH is out then right. I've got the Pro-Hunter and the Disc Extreme, the KRB was about the only thing that seemed interresting to me so do I buy it or put the $ away for Knights new BH209 gun that I'm sure is in the works... what do ya'll think??

Buy it......it works perfecttly fine with 777 and other propellants.Accurate,reliable,easy to load and clean and no crud ring with 777 even after multiple shots without swabbing.

For your dangerous game hunt, I think BH209 would be out anyway with the heavy bullets you mentioned. I tried using 405 grain bullets in my rifle with BH209 and got some blowback with 100 gr. volumetric charges. I believe those heavy bullets would work fine with Pyrodex or 777, and will probably reserve my KRB for heavy bullet use with those powders and keep my Extreme for use with BH209 and 300 grain or lighter bullets.

The KRB is a fine rifle. I really like mine and it seems to be the most accurate muzzleloader I have ever owned so far. The only fly in the ointment is its aversion to BH209 powder. That is the only sour note in an otherwise sweet song.

I'm in the same boat. I want to buy a KRB7 also but wanted to use BH209 in it. I think I'll get it anyway and use 777 until Knight comes up with a breeach plug to fix the problem. 777 is a great powder and I have heard a lot of good reports with it and the KRB7.

OK so I guess I solved all my problems, I went today to my local gun shop and he made me a deal I could not pass up on a KP1 .30-06/.50 cal combo in SS/camo. BH should work in the KP1 so I'm back in business... 8)

I dearly hope your KP1 muzzleloader doesn't give you issues. I'm sure the 06 barrel will work out nicely.

The first thing you will probably want to do is remove the fpj ignition system and replace it with the "regular" 209 plug. You will need to remove the extractor (and if you don't remove the little crossbar, spring, and ball bearing that operate the extractor... they may remove themselves during cleaning). The FPJ system is just a royal PIA in that rifle.

And that rifle is the reason I was asking for 209 primer length measurements. The longer the better in my specimen (which, by the way, is on its way back to Knight for the second time).

I'm using a couple of altered Weaver Grand Slam bases on mine and they yield a bit of mounting flexibility
2000458450876305028_rs.jpg

but your best bet for available mounting systems is probably the Talley-Knights http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/53726 . Those are shown in RW's review if you would like to check them out. http://randywakeman.com/kp1a.jpg

UC, the primary reason I wanted the rifle was for the 06... the company my gun shop orders from only had the package deal. I traded my Pro-Hunter for it and the gun shop gave me a great deal. The SS in my PH, for what ever reason seemed to develop rust spots a little to easy,,, perhaps too soft a grade of SS,,, I don't know. I been following your all wise sugestions on other post and did order the Tally base/rings for it. I hope the BP set up will be OK, but I shot two shots with my Disc Extreme the other day at 200 yards; with a 245 Barnes and 120 grains of BH set two inches high @ 100 the two rounds landed 1/2" apart and 6" low... so if the KP doesn't shoot well I'll be OK,,, but I'll wager it comes darn close to MOA.

Haven't tried BH209 yet in my KRB, but after reading some of the problems people are having here with BH209 and the KRB, I think I will stay with 777 unless Knight comes out with another breech plug for the BH209. The KRB is the most accurate muzzeloader I have shot to date, and it shoots big conicals very well. :wink:

Back