Large conical question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it were me I would give the No Excusses 420 grn 50 cal a try. What ever diameter works for your bore size. A former member here had a custom 50 cal mold made to mimic the GP 385 grn (minus the hp) and it shot lights out and cleanly took a large cow elk this past season. I believe that rifle was a 1-48 twist TC Renegade. Poured with 40-1 lead(pretty soft). The length is the driving force for accuracy in your 1-48 twist. I would bet that the 420 grn will be really close to the length of your GPbullet that shot good in your rifle. Great big lead will just not work in the slower twist.

BullShops UC shorts might work in a 1-48 twist 50cal. I think he even made some lighter ones. Sabotloader had a really old post on them. I think they were in the 350gr range.

A 370 Grain TC Maxi Ball will “YANK THE RUG” on Any Bison! The key with any Projectile regardless of Weight, is putting it where the Critter Lives, TC’s Maxi Ball was Designed for their 1:48 Twist. A 600 Grain Bullet will not Kill a Critter any Deader than a 370 Grain. I would choose a Bullet that was proven in my Rifles Rate of Twist, Work up a load, And Go Hunting :lewis:

GM I have no idea how you find all this stuff but it's always entertaining. Don't think this ole boy had any business in the woods. First his bullets were bouncing off him, then he's hugging it. Always entertaining.

Just remember unlike an elk/deer some large critters can be a lot more dangerous if the bullet dont put them down.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/i-deserved-it-yukon-hunter-becomes-the-hunted-1.3671809

I agree, Cape Buffalo is the First to come to my mind, i have watched some CRAZY videos on those things!

There is a Buffalo Farmer up the Rd from us here, He and i we’re visiting one day, i started questioning him About his Herd? I asked if he had ever been Hurt by them? He has had several Close encounters. One that stood out to me was 2 GIANT Bulls (2,000 lbs, or very near it) that had Gotten in a Fight, Gene said that the 2 Bulls Pushed and Shoved til they Got out by the Highway along The Fence line, He said it was DEFINITELY a Serious Argument they were having and he was keeping a Close eye on them, Gene has some EXTREMELY Durable Fencing to keep them in, But those 2 Bulls Shoved right Through it like it wasn’t even there, And they kept right on Fighting out in to the Highway!! Gene said it was quite a Helpless Feeling, What are you gonna do to Stop them?
When you Drive by these things and they happen to be along side the Rd, The Bulls are MASSIVE HUGE, (2 of the Breeder/Herd Bulls) Their Heads are the Size of the Front end of my Toyota Pickup!

This was a close encounter with my Jeep Liberty on a Barbary sheep hunt in southern NM. He just needed to scratch an itch apparently, but it made me nervous. I started the engine and backed up about 1/4 mile before I could turn around. He just looked disappointed.

Attachments

• IMG_2428.JPG
    IMG_2428.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 15
Got a load that is shooting great!
460gr No Excuses, sized at .504, over 70gr of 777 ffg. Holes touching at 50 and 80yds (I only shoot to 80 when hunting).

Will 70gr be enough for a bison? It doesn't like 80gr as much. My groups open up.

Hunt is on October 14th.

Got a load that is shooting great!
460gr No Excuses, sized at .504, over 70gr of 777 ffg. Holes touching at 50 and 80yds (I only shoot to 80 when hunting).

Will 70gr be enough for a bison? It doesn't like 80gr as much. My groups open up.

Hunt is on October 14th.

Good deal! 70 Grains will be Plenty :lewis:

I use 65 grs of 777 with roll my own 464 gr bullets in one of my Whitelightings the other likes 70 grs better with same bullet.

Back