Laser Cast .40 cal170 gr lead SWC, Blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mossy535

Reaction score
Hi all,

Well, it's time to get the new CVA Wolf to the range and practice for deer season. This will be my first time shooting a ML, though I have many years experience with centerfire rifles.

While I have some .45 cal 300 gr XTP's and some .44 cal 230 gr FTX's those will be reserved for a later range session and hunting application. On my initial range outing, I'd like to shoot the .40 cal 170 gr SWC's I picked up from a member over the winter to get on target and practice economically. I'll be using MMP sabots and would appreciate some advice on starting loads of BH 209 and any other tips you might have.

Thanks,

Mark

First, make sure you have the appropriate sabots for the various bullets you've listed. They are all available but each bullet will require a different sabot.

Next, make sure your BP will accept BH 209. I don't know about the Wolf but most of the CVAs require a modified BP.

Last, I'd suggest somewhere in the 70 - 80 grain by VOLUME for the 170s. The 300s will probably shoot best with 90 - 110 grains with my money on 100 for the sweet spot.

Hope this helps.

LarryBud said:
...Last, I'd suggest somewhere in the 70 - 80 grain by VOLUME for the 170s. The 300s will probably shoot best with 90 - 110 grains with my money on 100 for the sweet spot.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, that's exactly the type of info I'm seeking.

I've got the Blackhorn breech plug and the correct sabots, so the load suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Anyone got info on the do not exceed velocity of a .40 cal 170 gr lead SWC?

Back