Last Evenings Pig

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Killed this 110  pound sow after sundown yesterday.  She was about to have pigs. 

J0Rr817l.jpg

Great! Her and her offspring won't root up any more OK land.

About 10 years ago my dog routed out a sow while the sow was giving birth. My dog retrieved a wiggling little pig while it was still covered with blood and mucous. A week later I killed the sow. Unfortunately :roll:, the little piglet succumbed shortly after being fetched.  :twisted:

Nice job, Falcon. But, aren't feral sows always about to have piglets? :D
That's what it seems to be.

Nice job, Falcon. But, aren't feral sows always about to have piglets?
Not really.   The so called experts take breeding statistics pertaining to domestic sows and apply same to  wild sows.

The following comes from untold thousands of hours trapping, hunting and observing wild hogs:

1.  Wild sows have a hard scrabble life compared to domestic sows. 

2.  Wild sows seldom have more than one litter per year.  In a year when acorns and pecans are plentiful some sows may have two litters per year. 

3.  Many of the 2-3 year old sows we have shot and trapped had never borne a litter.  i won't attempt to  explain this one. 

4.  Coyotes and bobcats get some piglets.   

5.  Barring outside factors, if a sounder of five sows  raise 15 pigs to six months of age,  the number of hogs has increased dramatically.

Kentucky Colonel said:
Only KC would think of this, what has happened to his mind ....  :lol!:

Buck Conner said:
Kentucky Colonel said:
Only KC would think of this, what has happened to his mind ....  :lol!:
Its the company I keep... :tongue:

Latest posts

Back