Late model Traditions Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the reply Stoney1 but, now I"m confused.  Every picture and description I see of the Traditions Hawken Woodsman has brass furniture.  The new Mountain version (32" bbl) appears to have dark furniture.  Could that be the one you're thinking of?

rowdyjoe said:
Thanks for the reply Stoney1 but, now I"m confused.  Every picture and description I see of the Traditions Hawken Woodsman has brass furniture.  The new Mountain version (32" bbl) appears to have dark furniture.  Could that be the one you're thinking of?
rowdyjoe
My mistake, I apologize. You are correct, it was the Mountain version that I saw. I just checked out the link to TA here on this site. So, in answer to your question, I HAVE NO FRIGGIN' IDEA of the difference? :oops:
Stoney

stoney1 said:
rowdyjoe said:
rowdyjoe
My mistake, I apologize. You are correct, it was the Mountain version that I saw. I just checked out the link to TA here on this site. So, in answer to your question, I HAVE NO FRIGGIN' IDEA of the difference? :oops:
Stoney
That's OK.  I get the different models confused all the time.

I owned a St Louis Hawken a few years ago. I wasn't impressed with it at all. Maybe they've improved the latest version, but the one I had had a terrible lock and a sloppy gritty single trigger. Workmanship overall was crude.

I was worried about getting the Woodsman thinking it might be the same gun. It's not. Workmanship is like night and day and I love the lock and trigger. Good metal sights, smooth well machined bore, good wood fit, and after seeing Jon's range reports it's accurate.

I've owned TC, Lyman, Pedersoli, and the Woodsman is every bit as good. Impressive for the price.

My only gripe is they don't make a .54.

you all saw the build up of my st.louis kit. Excellent inletting and quality. That kit ran $318 + $6 shipping. Hard to beat that!

I'm sure building the gun will give better results. Mine was a factory build.

FrontierGander said:
you all saw the build up of my st.louis kit. Excellent inletting and quality. That kit ran $318 + $6 shipping. Hard to beat that!

Unless you spend about $80 more for a factory completed one. 
At my age, I don't know if I have enough time left on earth to complete a kit.  :)

I suggest you save your money and buy a factory Woodsman.

$388 with free shipping. Hard to beat.

LOL Rowdy, its not bad at all. Just mostly removing wood to fit the metal, a little lock and trigger guard inletting. But yes, $80 more and you got a nice looking factory rifle. Kit guns are one of my favorites though. I get to control the wood finish quality, fit, and the stock color.

You also have a shop to do it. I'd never buy another factory gun if I had your shop.

I do it in my bed room on top of my antique dresser/gun parts storage lol. A good vacuum is a must at the end of the build.

I don't do my building in there yet. Needs a $7000 cement floor still, along with the electric hooked up to the main power source.

FrontierGander said:
LOL Rowdy, its not bad at all. Just mostly removing wood to fit the metal, a little lock and trigger guard inletting. But yes, $80 more and you got a nice looking factory rifle. Kit guns are one of my favorites though. I get to control the wood finish quality, fit, and the stock color.

:)  I understand.  From what I've seen you do a beautiful job too.  However, by the time I buy the tools necessary to do a "good" job, I could probably buy two factory guns ....not to mention that it would probably take two kits for me to get one decent gun.  You know, one to "practice" on and one to get it right.  Besides, I'm anxious to start making smoke.  If I already had one I might consider a kit.  That way I could shoot while I build.
You know how excuses go.  "I don't want to loan you my ax".  Why not?  you say.  "Because I'm making soup" I say.  You say ...what's that got to do with me using your ax?  I say "Nothing but, if I don't wan to loan you my ax, any excuse will do".  :)

Back