Leather for leggings

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coalforge1

Reaction score
I have been unable to find any "'skins" I could afford so I thought about making some. The simplest for a first project would be leggings. I am trying to find where to buy appropriate leather. I am after something with a proper color and not real heavy. Any help would be appreciated.

Are you on facebook? there is a guy on there that sells skins for very fair prices.

FrontierGander said:
maybe 2 - 3oz weight
Good call, and he'll want a pretty soft "temper," which is an indication of stiffness.  Doesn't have to be as soft as deerskin, but close to that is better than something even as stiff as wallet leather.

You don't want them to stiff, they will ware on you making tender spots. I can tell you all about leggin's having worn leather leggin's for 40 plus wears (now on my third or fourth set of brain tan elk). Have tried different lengths; below the knee really don't give you the protection your wanting, to the crouch are to long and when they grow in length and they will - they become a problem. I have found making them mid length on you thigh works well, when they grow (usually when wet is when this happens) this length is still fine.

Buck Conner said:
...below the knee really don't give you the protection your wanting....
If you're in cactus country you'll welcome protection from the knees down.  That's why botas were so popular with fur trappers working out of Taos.  If your focus is the fur trade in the northern Rockies, you probably wouldn't see them. But if you look at photos and paintings of trappers who wandered south, you'll see lots of botas. From the comfort standpoint I'd truly rather wear them than the leggings (actually we called them chaps) that I grew up wearing. Actually botas provide better leg protection than chaps when on horseback in tough country. Even here in AK botas are awfully nice for helping keep legs and feet dry when the grass and brush is wet. And it's almost always wet!

That's not what i said, you need them from mid thigh down. They work the best in all the use we have used them.

FrontierGander said:
Are you on facebook? there is a guy on there that sells skins for very fair prices.
I bought some "dark tan deer-tanned cowsides" that I think will work very well.  Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back