Leaving load in barrel?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Longbow

Reaction score
Just question about how long can you leave your power and ball in your rifle while hunting. Over night ,1 day 2 days? What do you put over the nipple over night to keep moisture from entering,with swings in temperature. Thank you for all answers

Much of the length of time depends on a number of things;

Patch Lubes
1). Patch lube (water based is the worst for causing rust).
Weather
2). Weather - the temperature your hunting in that may draw moisture into the patch material (again causing rust).
Rust
3). You do not want to "ring" the barrel. The rust ring where your patch sits when loaded, some materials (metal) of barrels differs, the softer metals will rust faster and deeper than harder materials (metals).
   Had a few guns traded in - finding the rust issue when cleaned, looking at the bore by pulling the breech plug or using a bore mirror will really show what is  going on.
Loaded
4). Have had a few rifles that have been loaded for several weeks (forgotten) then cleaned and found there was no issues. These guns had been left in dry storage was the only reason we could thing of for still being OK.  My brother-in-law (know better) left a TC Hawken for 4 years then asked if I could get a replacement barrel as he figured it was now junk. One afternoon I we pulled the nipple put 4FFFF in the hole then reassembled and fired the rifle. Shot fine but when looking down the bore it looked pretty sad. With a little fine grit valve compound it cleaned up using just the ramrod and jag and an hour labor. He got off lucky that time.
   Bottom line is weather and temperatures, you need to try your best to keep moisture out of the barrel and the ignition system. There have been some really good ideas posted on here about keeping the ignition dry, I'll let those that have to fight this answer these issues.  :ttups:

When in the bush after game I use TOW mink oil.  I've left barrels loaded for months with no adverse effects and quick ignition when I finally fire them.  Don't try this with lubes that contain water.

I use Blackhorn 209 in my main hunting sidelock. I load it at the start of the season and shoot it out at the end if I don't have a shot at a legal deer. I've been doing this for several years now and have had no problems.

Luckily, I have had shots at deer most years but I see no need to waste the load. 

With black powder I usually only leave it loaded for about 3 weeks before shooting and cleaning the gun.

it depends on what part of the country you live in and the type of powder left in the barrel. where i live is 4000 ft and very very dry. no rust problems. some live in the low damp country and their it could be a problem. i would never ever leave pyrodex in a barrel as that is very bad for rust and metal eating crud. rarely gives accuracy that other powders give. if you ever handle a muzzleloader from a 100 or even much more ago, careful, real black powder can last a long long time and be viable. pull apart 45/70 shells from custers days and you will find some really really good black powder. their is no one right answer for this question. my country is so dry that in the winter i usually have a morning nose bleed every day. if you live on the coast, watch your guns and care for them a lot more that inland up here. the music stores have to readjust the guitars that are made on the coast and shipped here. the necks will change from the high dry climate. so will your guns. when you have paid good money for a gun, give it the care it should have.

Being that BP doesn't attract moisture from the air very readily, I've never had a problem in Hot, humid Georgia or here in Va.  Guns have been found loaded for 150+ years and still fired just fine.  BP fouling is a different story, of course.

Mine do the same after months of being loaded, falcon.

https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/t10236-weather-proofing-your-sidelock-muzzleloader

https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/t9981-flintlocks-bad-weather-tools-accessories

There was a time when I hunted regardless of the weather; but I'm - I like to say "not an idiot" - but actually I'm just a wuss in my old age.  I still love to hunt and shoot; but even more important, at least nowadays, is a good nights sleep and a warm place to use the bathroom.  :lol!:

Latest posts

Back