Lee REALS + Swiss = WOW

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tried some Swiss 3f, 70 gr under a 320gr Lee REAL in my Black Diamond XR .50 and got my first success with full calibers in an inline! Shot them at 50 yards , it was a windy day, and got groups in the 1- 1 1/4 inch range for 3 shots. There wasnt much difference in group size between swabbed rounds and unswabbed, but there was a 2 1/2 inch lower point of impact if I didnt swab between shots. Seems kinda odd... Anyway, lubed them with bore butter and got no leading and fouling was very light.Swiss powder is awesome stuff. Will try them at 100 and will chronograph too. Muzzleflash and blast are MOST impressive compared to my ususal Triple 7 loads. I'm thinking of using an overpowder wad to see if accuracy improves any. I have some old sabots that dont work too well in my rifles and I was thinking of cutting the petals off and using them. You sinker shooters out there, do you use wads and if so do they improve accuracy? Thanks!

Confederate rifleman

I have yet to shoot any Swiss but everything I hear about it is good. Of the real BP's it seems to be the Cadilac of BP. A freind of mine shoots Swiss in his White and really thinks it is the best.

I do use a shot card under my Bull Shops, I am not sure if the help accuracy or not - but I feel they insulate the buttom of the bullet from the heat that T7 generates and they provide a barrier between the cinical lube and the powder.

Wads may or may not help with accuracy, espeically with a tapered conical. You could cut some wads out of a cereal box or a milk carton if you want to find out super cheap. Wad-510-A at Track of the Wolf is very inexpensive and probably a better test.

Try 65 grains of Swiss and see if the shots group better.

A friend has shot .54 cal Lee REAL bullets out of a Getz barreled, Beck-style flintlock. I don't know what they weighed, but with Swiss FFF and an over-powder card wad he was getting three shot groups under 2" at 50 yds. without swabbing in between the shots. I think he was using 80 grains and the barrel's twist was 1 in 56.

Swiss does seem to be good stuff. My Getz barreled .54 flinter likes it and my .45 percussion definitely shoots more accurately with Swiss than Goex.

I never have shot Swiss (or any BP) in my Omegas. With the price of Blackhorn 209, maybe I should start. :p

I use felt wads from the guy who sells "Junior Lube". He has .45, .50 cal. 1/16" and 1/8" wool felt wads. Lube the wad and bullet with bore butter and place a trimmed sabot on top of the powder. The lubed felt helps soften fouling and prevent leading. The trimmed sabot prevents flame cutting of the base of the bullet as it leaves the muzzle.

I've shot only one group with Lee REALs out of my .54 Great Plains flintlock. The gun seemed to like them pretty well and I probably should try them again with different powder charges and lube.

GP_0004web.jpg
[/img]

I used a wonder wad under them. I suspect to group seperation - three shots together and two shots together - was my fault in how I was addressing the sight.

i use a wonder wad under 460 no excusesw/ 90 gr. of scheutzen . it helped my groups a bit.

I shoot the "Lee Real Bullet" over 90grs. of T7 in my T/C Gray Hawk 54.cal. It is a heavy load,but shoots well. With smaller charges of powder I didn't get the accuracy I needed (could be the lead hardness I use),but the gun seems to perform better at 90grs,with a PRB too, 1 1/4 inches at 50yds. Ron

Back