Lee's load data on the low side?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cell

Reaction score
I have a question for you all. I made some handloads for my rifle using the data from the lee load data sheet that came with my kit. I found the sweet spot at 36 grs. of powder...grouped really good. Going back on the web I see other manufactures with load data and owners of the same rifle are stating the start point for loading is 41 grs of the same powder ect.The Lee data sheet said max load is 40 grs.

Now the Lee data sheet claims a fps of 2100 with the .303 bullet I'm using(150 gr. sierra sp.) From your experience is that enough for a deer/beer/hog at no longer than 100 yards?Maybe at 150 yards?

You think I should work a load from more powder for more velocity?I guess I'm worried about getting a pass through from my current load and being the most efficient.

Thanks for your help.Happy holidays.

Cell

Yes, I do think the Lee data that comes with the load kit is low. I have several. I would cross reference other sources & go from there. The Lee data is set up to use the 'scoops', which has the potential to be less precise than a carefully weighed charge.

Make sure it is not just the same number designation for the powder/load. For example; IMR 4350 and H 4350 have differing burn rates, charge weights and cause different pressures.

I have collected a few data sheets now( one from the bullet manufacture also) and they all have higher starting/max loads for the same type of powder. From that and what others are saying their loads are Lee's data has to be on the light side.

I ran the ballistics through PointBlank and I'm just going to roll with it. It doesn't get to low in fps till its way out there...Ill probably never shoot past 150 yards.

But I will try these "normal" loads just for kicks :wink: The rifle I am talking about is an old Russian Mosin so if anybody is interested in the load data I found p.m. me...some of the materiel is copy righted so I don't think I can post it here.

thanks all

Cell

Just a little follow-up. I have a good amount of reloading manuals, some I like more than others. When it comes to charge weights I cross reference several with a bias towards the bullet maker's data, & the powder company. Of course one has to factor in the gun it will be shot in, and intended use. I'd go easy on an older gun.

I was out prairie dogging a while back in SD. Of the several guns I brought I had a 22-250 I wanted to try. Most of my 22-250 loads were in the mid range or so on the charge. They were still faster than the 223s. I have also loaded my 300WSM to the lower levels, usually. Besides the milder recoil it much easier on the brass, & resizing later.

The thing is with the hodgdon web site is they don't have loads for 7.62x54 with IMR 4895 powder....yet I found quite a few data sheets with the two.Go figure.

Thanks

Cell

Back