Leonardo DiCaprio docuseries Frontiersmen coming to History channel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like March 7th for the first episode. Don't know what time yet. Marked on my calendar.

Not listed on my guide yet, but I've got it set up to record. Been seeing the commercials for a couple of weeks.

-Joe

"The Men Who Built America: Frontiersmen," from executive producers Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson of Appian Way and Stephen David of Stephen David Entertainment, premieres Wednesday, March 7 at 9PM ET/PT and tells the stories of the adventurous trailblazers, from Davy Crockett to Lewis and Clark, who set forth across the land to transform us from colonists to revolutionaries to Americans.

March 7th Wednesday History Channel .....

that leonardo dicaprio piece of so called historical crap was more of a comedy than a serious movie. he was attacked by a brown bear way out on the treeless prairie along a river that comes out of the black hills. not in the mountains. the arikira tribe never ever lived in the trees as in the movie, they lived on the plains on the upper missouri. the the native who helped him had the wrong hair style and would not have been where he was. they were from eastern nebraska. the spotted horse he rode wasnt even known in those days. they come from a line of circus horse that is from denmark, much after that time period. he shot a muzzleloader twice without relodeing, new to me. the movie was a joke and not worthy of that kind of movie. in real life he never went after the two who left him. he started to but found out one was so young that he didnt have a adult brain at the time of the leaving. the other joined the army and he couldnt touch him. he died not too much after getting water from the missiouri river in the upper part of it by poss. arikira natives, how ever it could have been other natives. it was a party of food hunting sioux that helped him about the time he reached the black hills. ive crossed that river at where it comes out of the black hills so many times i couldnt count how many. i think of him every time i cross that bridge at that point. it is beautiful country and the real story is much better than the crap in that stupid movie. also it was filmed in south america, which is nothing like north america. the bear should have eaten leonardo and sparred us the misery of watching that B.S.

The thread topic has nothing to do with the movie. Speaking of the movie. You assume the Hugh Glass tale is true at all. Most think it wasn't.

Agreed Pete...

Look at the crap that Jim Beckwourth spread, everyone knew he couldn't have been there or done everything he said. Today research breaks a lot of these old stories apart.

I won't try to pick it apart. I'm just glad there's something better than the "Reality for Idiots" shows.

-Joe

well, some folks in the show are shooting percussion rifles in the 1760s, one even had him a sharps! Another, a civil war percussion musket. Damn time travelers in these shows!

That's the movies, they have about a 80% chance of screwing things up. 

In the TV series Centennial some of the guns the Indians carried were Remington Rolling Blocks with a flintlock hammer and frizzen attached (from 50 feet away they looked like flinters). This was done so they had guns that would shoot and not have issues if having used the real deal. 

In this TV series Robert Conrad was shooting a TC flinter that wouldn't fire about 75% of the time. The director Virgil Vogel asked if I would look at the rifle. It had been shot and reloaded who knows how many times. Once we pulled the charges (and there were many), cleaned the bore and after an hour of cleaning finally got the vent open (finally using a small drill and drilled through the jammed vent hole). Tested and loaded - the movie moved on. 

Now a half dozen of us old buckskinners were loading the guns for the different shots.....  Fun stuff ...

Yes, I saw Boone shooting a caplock in 1775 and laughed. In the next scene, he had a flintlock. 
 I also never saw a picture of Boone with a beard. Have you guys?

I tried to ignore the mistakes and just enjoy it. It was better than the usual crap the History channel has.

Clean shaved, Indians didn't trust those with beards was what Sitting Bull told the officials in Washington. He thought they were hiding their true shelf from others! ...

Yes, I know that but that didn't stop a lot of them from having a beard. I'm wondering if Boone every had one and if not why did they choose to give him one?

The beard didn't bother me as much as no "'coonskin cap on the top of ol' Dan".....

-Joe

I looked that up and he wore a beaver hat. Never wore a coon skin. Why do they have to change stuff like that?

Maybe Fess Parker had it left over from when he played Davey Crockett.

-Joe

Dan'l wore a black beaver felt hat throughout his adult life. There is no record of him ever wearing a coonskin cap.

patocazador said:
Dan'l wore a black beaver felt hat throughout his adult life. There is no record of him ever wearing a coonskin cap.
That's correct guys, here is what he wore most of his adult life, the movie version is baloney.

daniel.jpg

jemima.png
Remember he's from Quaker Country.

you guys see the latest episode? Showed closed up of a rack of flintlocks that were actually trap door flintlock prop guns.

Back