Leopold's Dot Reticle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Mike

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Dot reticle from Leupold? It's the one with a simple dot and thinning crosshairs. This would be used for whitetails within 150 yards.

In my experiance "dot" reticles are for more open range shooting for targets or varmints. those dots are extremly hard to pick up in low light or in woods. I borrowed my dad's AR when he first got it for kicks yote hunting one day and I am glad I didn't see one cause I couldn't find that lil dot in the scope. But for prairie dog hunting it's awesome.

I have trouble finding the dot on hurried shots ,especially with a "busy" background.

A scope with a lighted dot may be the way to go for woods hunting. I have two Weaver scopes- a K and K with the spider web dot reticles on spider web fine lines done by the firm in Birmingham, Al that specializes in that. (I'd have to find the info, it is here in my gun room). I daylight conditions that X on my Rem 700 223 HBO Varmint rifle is like laser beam, the dot is so small and makes long shots precise. I have lots of experience as a 4 decade LEO with lighted reticle sights and nothing is better than an OTC sight for moving targets in cover. I have 2 .S and a Mossberg 8 shot 12 GA. with OTC or Aim Point Red Dots and they are superlative in the woods and stationary targets.
Leopold's scope has not had good reviews locally due to pricing.

Are you referring to the "Fire dot" reticle? I have the VX-R 4-12x40 & LOVE it!! It has the traditional crosshairs & I believe that other reticles are available as well. The dot is easy to see in any light or condition & has 5 intensity settings that are easy to change or turn on & off.

If you are looking for one, McGowen45 on this forum is a dealer & will have a better price than just about anybody. He also uses this scope & so does Hawgslayer.

Hope this helps a little- Greg

:D

It's a great scope and that red dot is unbelievable..........I agree 100% with GregK. Check with Carlos :yeah:

Ray.......... :wink:

Latest posts

Back