Load combination, powder, bullet, etc

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanner Pehrson

Reaction score
Hi everyone I have a Thomson center bone collector .50 cal
What’s everybody’s recommendation for most accurate load? What kind of powder, bullets, etc

If it were me, I'd start out with 110grs volume of BH209 and a Barnes 290gr T-EZ bullet, with CCI209M or Federal 209A primers.

Hornady 250 grain XTP bullet, 90 grain Blackhorn powder, black crush rib sabot, Federal 209A primer.

And this is the direction I'd go for starters. I'd also increase the charge in 10 grain increments to the 110 grains mentioned earlier. If needed due to tight loading I'd go to a crush rib sabot. At the 90 grains and up to the 110 the gun would be deer ready as far as load goes. To be clear here.....I am referring to volume measure for the powder.

If the current TC barrels are still like the barrels on the two Omegas that I have, the bores are a bit tight and the black crush ribs work well for .452 bullets and the Harvester smooth, short, black sabots work well for .451 bullets. The same for 44 cal bullets, with the green crush rib for .430 bullets and either the Harvester or MMP smooth green for .429 bullets. I have also used the red crush ribs for some undersized .451 bullets, like the Parker BE, with good success.

Tc barrels are tight compared to most guns. The MMP 3 pedal ez and the Harvester crushed rib are my 2 favorite sabots. The Hornady SST’s and Monoflexs should shoot good out of it. The red sabots on Hornady bullets are also MMP 3 pedal ez’s. So you won’t have to but separate sabots.

Latest posts

Back