load question teenage daughter remington UML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockwind1

Reaction score
hello

mule deer muzzleloader hunt is here. we can only use iron sights. i have posted this question on another forum as well. i am using blackhorn 209 with the remington 250gr accutips that come with the rifle. i tried 65, 70, 80, and 90 gr loads. from knowing what rifles my daughter has show, i think the 90 (by volume) is fine for her. but,,,,,,,,

my chron V2 is showing 1810 fps with the 90 gr load. i have the rear sight up as high as it will go, it is the williams rear peep. at 100 yds, the gun is still shooting 14" low. i can't seem to zero it for 100 yds. it shoots a fine group, just low.

any tips or thoughts? thanks in advance

well, i guess i will have to do that but i just can't believe remington would sell this gun that can't be zeroed unless i make serious modifications to it.

I agree that does seem odd. But honestly, I haven't heard much about that rifle at all... and the only ones I have heard about were scoped.

I would call them, see what they say.

Yes to the above, and it's the same for you while shooting also? I have filed the front sight down a few times, different guns, though that would be a last resort. You would rather not have her deal with 'Kentucky Windage', which is another option.

If she can handle 80-90 grain charges that should do. The closer the shot the better, especially with the iron sights.

I have a Remington 870 slug barrel that ran out of adjustment when I was experimenting with iron sights, very frustrating. I have read where a call to Remington may get you a different front sight, I'm guessing it's a couple of screws to remove it? I'm also guessing there is no time for that?

Can u cut up some pop cans for the shims in the rear for a quick fix?

just curious why would you try a different bullet or sabot, does 1810 fps sound right to you with that load? thanks

Yes that fps sounds right according to BH's website. I doubt a different bullet or sabot will cure your problem. Maybe your shooting it slower than what remington had in mind with the iron sights, maybe a wrong sight was installed. Have you tried remington customer service yet?

yes, i did. sad to say, they were fairly worthless. they are sending out a new front sight. i told them it would not help to send me the same one so could we verify what the height should be before you send it. she said they have no specs for the rifle and if the new front sight doesn't help i have to send it in for evaluation.

rockwind1 said:
just curious why would you try a different bullet or sabot, does 1810 fps sound right to you with that load? thanks

I have a 44 rifle that loves 240 sp bullets no problems at 100 yards. I have shot hornady 240 hp bullet drops 5 inches low . Now I can take that hornady 240 gr hp bullet shoot it in my encore no problems . Just cause two bullets weight the same doesn't mean they will fly the same . Maybe your damaging the tip of the bullet when your load it .

rockwind1 said:
yes, i did. sad to say, they were fairly worthless. they are sending out a new front sight. i told them it would not help to send me the same one so could we verify what the height should be before you send it. she said they have no specs for the rifle and if the new front sight doesn't help i have to send it in for evaluation.

This doesn't surprise me. I had to deal with Remington CS also, over a rifle I was attempting to set up. Nuff said about that.......

You'll be much better off, taking the rifle to a good gunsmith and have them change the sights, preferably with a much lower front sight. If the rifle is grouping, you just need to make the sight adjustments: higher rear or lower front.

i actually already ordered a .260 high front sight, and i think i will still have to shim up the rear.

does anyone know of a rear peep sight that has more adjustment than the williams?

it would seem when you are playing with lighter and heavier loads and zeroing further out, you would want something with a lot of adjustment.

Looking at a photo of the rifle, it looks like the sight is a Williams WGRS. The WGRS sight has very little vertical adjustment. The Williams FP sight would provide quite a lot more range of adjustment.

I would suggest you call Williams sight co. they have excellent customer service. explain your situation and they will help.

Back