Loading CVA optima V2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjc77z4

Reaction score
Me again...so new at this I'm not even sure I'm loading this thing right.

I'm using 2 white hot pellets and Hornady SST 250gr......I will be switching to BH Powder after the season.

For those that have the Optima V2...is the ram rod that's supplied with it the proper length to seat 2 pellets and the sabotted bullet without the extension? I feel like it's too short...so I screwed on the extension to load.....which If this is what I need to do will be a pain in the field.

So with the extension....I pushed everything down in one motion until i couldn't anymore. Then for good measure I have it one last hard push to make sure it was down and it gives a little bit each time I do this. So you think I'm actually feeling the pellets break.....are the pellets just seating into the small hollow cavity in the sabot...or have I pushed too hard.

Any ramrod supplied with a M-L should be long enough to load the gun. You do need to have the powder/pellets then the sabot firmly seated against the breech plug. You can check ramrod length with an empty gun, it should go right to the bottom. Many will put a mark on the ramrod, maybe 2. Those marks show how deep the ramrod goes when the gun is 'charged'(or empty).

There are ways to calibrate your seating pressure to an optimum foot lbs of pressure. I just go by feel, firm pressure, no pounding needed. A little crush to the pellets isn't the end of the world, I'd try not to though.

Always be sure of the charged state of your M-L. There have been more than a few accidents when shooters forgot, then loaded their M-L a second time.

Anyway, you shouldn't need an aftermarket ramrod extension, but the goal is to firmly seat the charge and saboted bullet against the breech plug.

With the CVA and most break action you do need the supplied ramrod extension. The stored ramrod cannot extend into the area under the breech and still allow barrel to open.

Consistence when reloading is key, the actual lbs pressure don't matter as much as exactly the same routine, I am also big believer in witness marks on ramrod to indicate a proper seated load. may vary slightly with different charges.

As others have said, the ramrod is long enough for loading and the extension is only for cleaning. You can actually damage the tips of bullets if you load with the cleaning extension because it is too flat across the face. You can crush pellets if you apply too much pressure while loading and this will affect accuracy. If you shoot a lot, it's very handy to get a separate range rod for loading and cleaning and just use the rifle's ramrod for loading in the field.

I think I figured it out ....I was using it wrong. I guess you unscrew the palm saver from the jag.....put the jag over the bullet...then put the palm saver over the other end and push down.

I know....stupid....but hell this muzzloader thing is pretty different than any hunting I have ever done

MuzzyNewb said:
I think I figured it out ....I was using it wrong. I guess you unscrew the palm saver from the jag.....put the jag over the bullet...then put the palm saver over the other end and push down.

I know....stupid....but hell this muzzloader thing is pretty different than any hunting I have ever done

No, you do not have to unscrew the palm saver and reverse the ramrod. That will also damage the bullet tips if you are using a spire pointed bullet. The lower end of the ramrod, the end the cleaning jag screws into, is inletted to be able to load a pointed bullet without damage. Are you having problems starting the bullet when loading and only using the ramrod? If so, you need a short starter.

No...my only problem is the ramrod is not long enough of I don't unscrew the palm saver.

Why would the palm saver screw over a jag....if the jag was not intended to push down a bullet. The jag would not need to be there at all....the palm saver could just be fixed to the ram rod.

You tube videos show people loading their cva the way I wrote above.....man am I confused

I agree with previous post that a short starter is a good idea with all muzzleloaders. Don't worry about doing what you called a stupid thing. A few months ago I was in the same place you are now. I have noticed that forum members are a pretty easy going bunch. They are here to help and that's what they will do. Joining the forum was a smart thing to do.

I just got out my Optima to take a look. In fact you are doing it right. The palm saver screws onto the jag. Unscrew the palm saver and slip it over the other end to load. The best thing would be to get a separate longer jag that would then screw onto the end where you would otherwise put the palm saver. Then you wouldn't have to take off the palm saver. You couldn't leave the long jag on the rod. You would simply carry it with you.

The cva palmsaver thing is a stupid idea, imo. Instead they should use an extending ramrod. My Knights have them and I can say its awful nice if I need to swab in the field. The popular break action rifles (CVA/TC) actually NEED one because the rods are shorter, yet instead of addressing that issue, they put a palmsaver on and still require you to use an extension if you want to swab your barrel. :huh?: Never understood that.

The other issue that is rare but has happened, people have shot their palmsaver. Was out a smidge and got turned somehow...bang.
Palmsavers are fine, but most folks that use a short starter have one anyhow...and in reality, they aren't even needed for a in the field load or two.

The few guys I know that have CVA's, have dumped the palmsavers and got an extended jag. But then again, why should they have to when the company could easily make a rod that works and fills the need.

I thought about buying a telescoping ram rod for a 26 inch barrel. That would solve all problems....I think

MuzzyNewb said:
I thought about buying a telescoping ram rod for a 26 inch barrel. That would solve all problems....I think

If it fits and stays in place tightly. I don't know on those...maybe someone can answer. I know the Knight ramrods which are super - are too thin to stay in place on the TC Omega, I tried it.

MuzzyNewb said:
No...my only problem is the ramrod is not long enough of I don't unscrew the palm saver.

Why would the palm saver screw over a jag....if the jag was not intended to push down a bullet. The jag would not need to be there at all....the palm saver could just be fixed to the ram rod.

You tube videos show people loading their cva the way I wrote above.....man am I confused

I can not imagine what kind of load is too short in the bottom of the barrel that the ramrod is not long enough without unscrewing the palm saver. Yes, it is too short to reach the breech plug face if it is dropped in an unloaded barrel but I have loaded 2 different Optimas more times than I can remember, with a variety of different loads, and I have never had an issue of the ramrod being too short to seat the load.

Well..I just went and finished sighting in. The ram rod IS too short without the extension. I loaded it with the normal 2 pellets and a sabotted bullet. I used the extension and then removed the extension. I was able to push the normal ram rod an the way in without ever touching the bullet. I had to screw the extension on to even get it out of the barrel. I'm going to call CVA on this. Maybe I got the wrong ram rod....like the one for the wolf or something.

Yep....ramrod is only 20 inches. Should be 23. Scheels is taking care of me on it

MuzzyNewb said:
Yep....ramrod is only 20 inches. Should be 23. Scheels is taking care of me on it

Well, that would explain it. I thought something didn't sound right so this afternoon, I got the Optima out of the safe and did some measuring. The ramrod on my rifle is 22.5" long from the shoulder on the bottom of the palm saver to the end. I dropped a range rod down the muzzle and it's 24.5" from the breech plug face to the end of the muzzle. Two White Hot pellets and a Hornady 250 gr SST and sabot stacked measure 2.5". This would give you .5" of ramrod left when the load seated. I went ahead and loaded the rifle with that to check my math and you do have .5" to spare. Not much, but enough. So the palm saver on your ramrod was 2.5"-3" below the muzzle of your rifle when it was fully inserted into the holders under the barrel? Strange.

Attachments

• IMAG0176.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 3,238
Well I learned something too, have been leaving palm saver in place, and using cleaning jag to load. Not been issue with hollow points in pistol, but ready to order rifle tomorrow, I will be using ballistic tips in it.. Thanks for info

I find it is really is quite handy to have a separate range rod to load for bench and range shooting and for cleaning and just use the rifle's ramrod for reloading in the field.

Back