Loading CVA optima V2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VERY Glad I found this thread----- I am a new ML hunter and Optima V2 owner. I will sight it in tomorrow, weather permitting.

The whole ramrod / palm save thing has me confused a bit The conversation here has shed some light on it….
But, how do you do a quick followup shot in the field? It is hard to see taking the time to screw on the extended jag in order to load another round. From what I am reading. it sounds like the palm saver may be for range use only? If so, seems goofy and not well thought out. BTW, I did buy a separate range rod, but obviously will not have it with me in the field.

This leads me to another question---- after reading a lot on this forum, I am going with a saboted bullet (Hornady MonoFlex Low Drag 250 gr). So, with the polymer tip, I will need to be sure I use the proper tip on the ramrod to avoid damaging it, right? Also---- with the sabot, what is the correct CLEANING regimen at the range and in the field?

Thanks guys. Y'all are a great help to us newbies.

Mojo212

I don't believe there is such a thing as a quick follow-up shot with a muzzleloader. If you completely miss the game animal will easily be out of Dodge before you can reload. Stop and think about all the movement you will have to do to reload. You will certainly be spotted. When you reload in the field focus on remaining calm so as not to make mistakes. Don't get me wrong. It's ok to reload quickly just stay calm. Making mistakes will just take longer. This is something you can practice at the range. I agree about the palm saver. It is what it is. Simply deal with it best you can. I think the jag on the rod should work with the monoflex. It does work I know with the Hornady ftx. As far as cleaning in the field or range I won't comment about whitehots since I haven't used them. It you were using black horn you don't have to clean at all between shots. Just make sure of poi difference if any between a clean barrel and a fouled barrel.

Been awhile since I was here, so bear with me if this has already been said someplace else.
I put a T\C Swivel jag on the end of my rod to solve this problem, and though it does protrude a few inches past the muzzle, it has never been a problem.
I leave it on the rod all the time so I don't have to hunt for it while either hunting or target shooting.
As a bonus, it also fits all my 'pointy' bullets just fine.
I also use a T/C palm saver when I need some padding my hand while dealing with a stiff reload.
Hope this helps !

Lou

Latest posts

Back