Loading from the breech?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourbore

Reaction score
I dont own an inline but; I have shot several. Reading here about heavy 45 caliber full bore bullets got me thinking. Yea, I know. I am corona bound. It is mail order a kit and provide economic stimulus or ask dumb questions. So:

This is remove the easy, unscrew by hand, breech plug. Drop in a 1:20 cast full bore bullet and ram the bullet to a precise depth. Use a mallet if necessary. That is a ram rod with a solid stop. Then drop in a precise measured or weighed charge. No air gap. Screw in the plug, prime and shoot. Remove the plug and clean the bore, clean the plug. Repeat the process.

There was a time when shooters would drop a bullet into the chamber and follow up with a charged brass case. And yes, I know this is not legal muzzle loading for hunting. it would be for shooting small groups with heavy bullets at max distance.

Does this make sense? Do people do this? Are special barrels available to easy loading?

Yes, easy & faster to drop a sabot down the muzzle. But, I am asking about ultimate muzzle loader (not from the muzzle) accuracy. It was a lot easier to load a patch ball or mini-ball, at a time when target shooters used a false muzzle and big time lever to load a gun. it was also faster and easier to load brass case ammo with a bullet crimped in than load two separate steps. The slow loaders were winning the matches. The fast loaders were hunting and fighting.

Now with a speedy/easy breech I though I saw an opportunity for the slow loaders.

WHY? you cant get much more precise then loading from muzzle and pushing load down onto breech plug/mark your ram rod. Be a royal pain to remove breech plug for every shot, you would still need to swab if using real bp or substitutes so a even bigger pain.. jmho

Also can't imagine that you could start a bullet straight as easy from the breech as you can from the muzzle.

I think the diameter of the barrel is smaller at the breech end. Plus I think you'd wreck the bullet trying to shove it through the threads

I think you are right. It might not work very well without a special chamber. That would require a special barrel. I did not think this through very well.

I think you are right. It might not work very well without a special chamber. That would require a special barrel. I did not think this through very well.
If you have a piece of your barrel you can have swinglock make you a fullform die to fully rifle groove size bullets from the muzzle and accomplish the same thing

I believe the gun your speaking of is the 1863 Sharps which used a paper cartridge loaded from the breech.

Schuetzen Target Rifles have been loaded from the breech by seating a cast bullet just touching the lands and then loading a primed case with the powder charge. This has been done for decades with extreme accuracy. They normally use the same case for the entire match.

Exactly. Apparently this concept or method has not been applied to any inlines with loose powder and quick screw breech plugs. I have watched inline shooters at the club remove the plug to clean between every shot. I know it is not all about speed for everybody or all the time. That was obviously loading from the muzzle. That method may simulate the first cold shot fired on game or be in the quest for an accurate group. I never though to ask.

I did have an ulterior motive, I hoped this discussion would put me over the 25 post limit for buying in the classified. It looks like the 58 bullets will soon be gone and I remain 3 shy of days and posts. ....

Sounds like the fiddlestick contraption in a way to me . Why bother with all that ???

Latest posts

Back