Loading issues with sabots for the T/C .54 Renegade

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toolman

Reaction score
I have an old T/C .54 Renegade I bought in 1981 and has been very accurate until recently. Most of the deer I have shot with it have been less than 50 yards. I noticed last year it is shooting off to the right quite a bit.

I have been shooting Buffalo Bullets as they are easy to load. I have tried sabots years ago and found them extremely hard to load, they were Hornady sabots. Can anyone recommend a load, sabot or otherwise that is both accurate and easy to load?

I do not want to shoot roundballs as I do not feel they are as effective compared to the conicals. (They are accurate but do not leave much of a blood trail and the B.C. is quite poor).

The first thing I check when a rifle starts to act up from a known load is.. are the sights tight. I can not tell you how many times I have suddenly had a rifle act up on me, got me scratching my head, and the finally check the rear sight and find it loose.

Now if you're working up a new load and they are shooting to the right, this might be something totally different and have nothing to do with your sights.

Some other conicals you might want to try are the maxiball, REAL concals, and powerbelts. Although, I sure would not see a roundball short. I've dumped a lot of deer with a simple roundball..

Toolman

In Idaho sabots are are legal thing so I have been shooting them in my 54's all along. You have to use a thin sabot the Hornadysabot is usually to thick to get down the barrel comfortably.

I have neen using Nosler sabots, which I think were made by Harvester. They work very in my 54 Renegade.. BUT my hunting partner who has a new TC 54 cal Hawkin with a very tight barrel can not get them down either. TC makes a Orange 54 cal Mag sabot - the older variety of these or the Traditions sabots will work also - I think they were also made by Harvester. The new Orange TC Mag Express sabots are made by MMP (I think) and are tighter - they will go down but they are tight.

A really decent bullet is a Speer .452 300 grain Gold Dot or if that is to tight a Speer .451 300 grain JSP. We have started using this one in a freinds Traditions 54.

I have been loading T7-3f powder. With the 3f I know I can get the powder out under the nipple. I shoot 90 grains for hunting.

Here is a pic from the Renegade barrel...

Renegade1.jpg

Good luck

That's some fine shooting. My old Renegade is just like yours, bought it
in 1981. I also love the double set triggers.

I hope to find some sabot or conical that will shoot straight.

Back