Loading loose powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benamen

Reaction score
I am quite new at muzzleloading and currently using BH209 in my Triumph. Have you guys come up with a way of loading loose powder like BH that is quick and minimizes the chance of spilling any of the powder especially during a hunting situation?

Any suggestions appreicated.

Ben

You can always get a very small plastic funnel and carry it in your pocket.You can usually find them at hardware or grocery stores.

The tubes Lane sells are very convenient to carry pre-measured charges. Combine using the tubes with a small funnel and you should be good to go.

Traditions sells a nice little funnel made of brass (the one that is threaded to fit flasks) but it's a little pricey.

TC makes a 4in1 loader that should work pretty well, although the top cap on the older version of those could work loose if carried in a pocket.

i215467vr02.jpg

Looks like getting a funnel is the way to go. I have 40 of the tubes coming from Lane and they should be here in the next couple of weeks (I'm up in Canada).
Thanks for the tips.

I don't know about the tubes Lane sells so far as fit, but the ones we ordered over at HA looooong ago
fit nicely in shotgun shell boxes like this one
480684.jpg

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... t=11082005

Don't know if Lane specified the length of those tubes but make sure any box you buy is deep enough. Very handy for the bench or just carrying extra loads in the vehicle/camp.

Hey benamen, if you're getting some of Lane's tubes I think you will find there's no need for a funnel. Its quite easy to avoid spilling when pouring powder from the tube to the barrel with the tubes.

good to hear that I can go without a funnel. The fewer steps to field loading the better for me. Looking forward to giving Lane's tubes a try.

Can someone post pics of the tubes offered by Lane?? Hoping to order some soon.

Lane,
I certainly will let you know. Really looking forward to getting the tubes. I want to fine tune my load yet for my rifle and my son is just ordering up a muzzleloader for himself so will have to work up a load there also. Now if I can just find Blackhorn in Canada.

Ben

You'll love Lanes powder tubes. I bought some a while back and i am very grateful that he threw in 20 extra! They are handy and easy to stuff into my possibles bag.

[Lanes tubes are GREAT!!! Chris Colt turned me on to them, and Lane is such a pleasure to deal with. The only problem is your buddies will want to "BORROW A FEW", when they see them in your Range Box. Like I saw earlier on this forum.....order more than you think you will need.[/i]

Lane,

My shipment of tubes just walked in the door. A lot quicker than I expected. (11 days)

Just for your information, shipments delivered in Canada by Canada Post usually are not subject to brokerage fees or GST (our Federal Goods and Services Tax) if the value of the shipment does not exceed $20.00.

Thanks for the quick service. I have a lot powder measuring to do now. Good thing I have a powder measurer to speed up the job.

Thanks again.

Ben

Wow!

That is alot longer than I ever thought it would take :shock: :?

But, am glad ya got them :) Keep us posted with range reports 8)

Back