My Accura shreds Barnes TEZ sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had some Bore Tech carbon remover that I use on my 40X 22 target gun's dreaded carbon ring, so it's soaking in that now. I don't know if it works against plastic, but we'll see what happens.

MrTom you are a scholar and a gentleman.
I just loaded the Accura with 110 gr of BH 209, and a 250 gr. TEZ bullet in a MMP black 12 sabot. Can't wait to get to the range.

I ran out of Blackout patches. They are in shipping, and I'll report when I can get up to the range.

MrTom you are a scholar and a gentleman.
I just loaded the Accura with 110 gr of BH 209, and a 250 gr. TEZ bullet in a MMP black 12 sabot. Can't wait to get to the range.
That’s close to the exact deer load I‘ve been working with in my Optima’s. I would bet it’s gonna work really well for you….

That’s close to the exact deer load I‘ve been working with in my Optima’s. I would bet it’s gonna work really well for you….
My V2 Accura is very close to a five shot, one holer, at 100 yards using 110 grains [v] of BH209, a 250 grain Barnes XPB and a black Harvester sabot.

Those blue sabots that came with the bullets.... how old were they? Did you have a mess of them laying around for a long while? I only buy the Barnes bullets in bulk, no sabots, EXCEPT for the 195 Expanders and I toss the sabots that come with the bullets. When I bought my Kodiak .45 the gun came with powder, pellets and maybe a dozen assorted partial packages of bullet/sabot. Some of those sabots came apart at 110 grains [v] of Bh209 after I converted the plug to a vent liner, but the bullet packaging was as old as the gun was, 10-12 years old, and were stiff as all get out when loading.

That Kodiak's sweet spot is with 90 grains [v] of BH209 so sabots don't fail. I shoot smokeless in my Patriot .45 cal with an 18" twist rate and the blue Harvesters, same as the one the Kodiak uses, look fine at about 2400 fps, not even close to deforming. Maybe those old sabots had something to do with blowing apart.

Last edited:
I bought that box of Barnes bullets with blue sabots at least 3 years ago. Hard telling when they were made. Never thought about the age factor! What I did consider was that the only way Barnes could have made them EZ to load would have been to make the sabot thinner.
I have made the decision to go with a new muzzleloader. There has been a lot of advanes in the hardware, as well as in Washington state's legal hunting equipment rules. I just have to start catching up so I can make a good decision on which one to buy.
You could say I already got a Kodiak lol.

Attachments

• brownbear1.jpg
    brownbear1.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 1
80 years old and shooting 200g loads of BH209? I’m equally impressed and horrified lol. I’m 24 years younger and over 200lbs of (mostly) muscle and you couldn’t pay me to shoot higher than 120 grains.
Many years ago I was pretty muscular myself. Especially shoulders, back and chest. Now gravity took over and it's just above my belt. 😀

Many years ago I was pretty muscular myself. Especially shoulders, back and chest. Now gravity took over and it's just above my belt. 😀
I’m 56 and currently winning that battle for the most part, but I know gravity will eventually get me lol….

I’m 56 and currently winning that battle for the most part, but I know gravity will eventually get me lol….
Yah, and there's more than one way gravity can get you. I was walking into a local gun shop with a long gun in each hand. I'd had a mild stroke some weeks before, and my left foot went off the edge of the elevated entrance. As I was flying, courtesy of gravity, like any true rifleman, I held the guns up and sacrificed my butt. Well after that I was 2" shorter, and with 3 inoperable crushed vertebrae. I'm ok until I walk or stand lol.
My advice.....don't put it off! Whatever it is that you long to do.....do it while you can.

My CVA Wolf is stipping the tez 250 blue petals clean off too, on a new gun. I find the petals like 14 feet from where i'm shooting and the bases go like 35 yards. Im using 100 grain Volume triple 7 FFG weighed 79 grains by weight.

I know what the problem is. The way they make the TEZ easier to load, is by making the sabot thinner. If you don't watch it, your bore will start collecting plastic, which creates a layering of plastic over powder residue, over plastic and so on. Then, it becomes a little rough, even though your cleaning patches come out looking clean.
Combine a rough built up bore surface with the thin blue sabots, and you have loss of accuracy due to the disintegrating sabots.
Clean it with a plastic solvent, either shotgun wad remover, or acetone (slower), and JB bore compound or Remington Bore Cleaner (slower) and replace those blue sabots with MMP 12, or Harvester EZ Load sabots, whichever gives you best results.

Back