Long Pointed Aluminum Tip

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_5217.JPG

The bullet was provided by 52Bore. Origin is uncertain.

edit: Now believe the bullet is a special order with a 0.015" jacket. Repeated measurements using different instruments, indicate the jacket is 0.015" thick.

IMG_5218.JPG

The distance from rifle to carpet, plywood, bottles, phone book is 25 yard. Because the bullet is so very very long, weapon of choice is the fast twist Knight Ultra-Lite. Powder charge is 80 grain Hodgdon Triple seven FF.

VIDEO

The bottles suffered considerable damage. The bullet went through every bottle, bounced off the phone book, and was found right there on the back of the horse. The jacket was found about three feet to the left in the grass.

IMG_5222.JPG

IMG_5221.JPG

Last edited:
same style bullet has take lot of game at long distance so don't know what to tell ya. I took doe at 400 with a 325 XLD Arrowhead , left muzzle at 2194 fps using BH209, deer ran abought 75 yds. No bullet just tip still in heart

Thanks Ron. Someone gave me a few years ago, knowing I’ll never shoot them.
I wasn’t sure if they’d pencil thru or compress to expand? Looks as if the AL tip, once deflected off center, just tumbled and came apart.

Maybe three years ago Doug Schwartz sent me ten bullets each of two sizes, 250 grain and 300 grain, in .45 cal that looked exactly like this one. I shot them in sabots out of my Accura V2 and they were super accurate at 100 yards. I might have two of each size yet if memory serves me right. I've always been curious if the aluminum tip was for stability in flight or another reason. Pretty sure I lit them up with 100 measured grains of 209 powder back then.

Maybe three years ago Doug Schwartz sent me ten bullets each of two sizes, 250 grain and 300 grain, in .45 cal that looked exactly like this one. I shot them in sabots out of my Accura V2 and they were super accurate at 100 yards. I might have two of each size yet if memory serves me right. I've always been curious if the aluminum tip was for stability in flight or another reason. Pretty sure I lit them up with 100 measured grains of 209 powder back then.

They might have been these..... Pittman? Doug shot a lot of those.

IMG_1554.JPG

These sure look like them. I got the remaining bullets out last night and the ones you show are spot on.

These sure look like them. I got the remaining bullets out last night and the ones you show are spot on.
The bullets in the photo are also from Doug but, they have thinner .015" jackets. I have 300 of the 275gr and 300 of the 300gr bullets and all are .015" jackets.
IIRC, Doug had bullets made with the thinner jackets for competition.

The parker 270 emax has a 0.015 jacket
I got some of those 270gr Emax bullets to test out in my Paramount, but I havent shot them yet. I had them sized at .4525 to fit my bore. I know I could push that bullet to 2600fps in my Paramount. I'll post details when I test them. I'd love to see how they perform on deer/pigs/black bear.

Latest posts

Back