Lookin for a 700 ML action & bolt for a .45 budget SML build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need a Rem 700 ML only receiver & bolt to put together my first .45 SML rig. Where do I try to find one without having to buy a whole " Donar gun "? Whats a good price to pay for it? Should I try to find a .54 cal action for this build over a .50 cal action? Can it have a Remage barrel to, later on, do a .40 SML switch rig or reg Rem 700 barrel? I'd like to use a 1.25 shank Sendaro barrel, is the shank to lg dia for the receiver or am I stuck with the stock barrel contour? ? Thanks for all input & advice.

Last edited:
Any caliber will work, the action is the same. If the donor gun is in good shape, you can sell off the parts you don't want. Gunbroker use to have a bunch for sale but there are only a few right now. I believe McGowen is the only place selling barrels for the older 700ML, I don't know if that's a barrel nut setup or a full sized heavy contour barrel. IIRC, $225 was the most I've paid for a whole gun. Some of the listings on Gunbroker say that their muzzleloader is in great shape and then they show a rusty bore. I wouldn't evern consider those, IMO, if the barrel is rusty, the action is in the same shape.

Your post mentioned a regular 700 barrel, that won't work on an older Rem 700ML, the barrel tenon is a different length.

I'm pretty sure my Brux barrels have a 1.25 inch shank which is a smaller diameter than the action.
WWVmgvf.jpg

Last edited:
Post a WTB in the MM clasdifieds. You may also want to place a WTB on Dougs Message Board. Lots of smokeless guys there. If you strike out, PM me. I have a buddy that has two 700 ml SS .50s he wants to sell.

I need a Rem 700 ML only receiver & bolt to put together my first .45 SML rig. Where do I try to find one without having to buy a whole " Donar gun "? Whats a good price to pay for it? Should I try to find a .54 cal action for this build over a .50 cal action? Can it have a Remage barrel to, later on, do a .40 SML switch rig or reg Rem 700 barrel? I'd like to use a 1.25 shank Sendaro barrel, is the shank to lg dia for the receiver or am I stuck with the stock barrel contour? ? Thanks for all input & advice.

You may want to wait until after the season this year, and look on Gunbroker.com.

Once in a while you will find a deal on a gun with a rusty bore.

I like the 1.200" shank diam., Light Varmint profile, 45 cal. Brux barrels to get velocities close to 3,000 fps with the 275 Parker BE bullets.

Another option is to try and find a used Remington 700 rifle. Arrowhead has the Remage barrels for these.
The velocities are a little less, but still near that of a 30-06.

You may want to wait until after the season this year, and look on Gunbroker.com.

Once in a while you will find a deal on a gun with a rusty bore.

I like the 1.200" shank diam., Light Varmint profile, 45 cal. Brux barrels to get velocities close to 3,000 fps with the 275 Parker BE bullets.

Another option is to try and find a used Remington 700 rifle. Arrowhead has the Remage barrels for these.
The velocities are a little less, but still near that of a 30-06.
Thanks HVM, I'm not in a big rush to do this, so if it means I have to be patient to find a whole gun that is in the price range I can manage or I find a good deal on a SS receiver & bolt that's fine. I just really don't want to bother with or tie up any of the minimal funds I have to work with for crap I don't want or need then have to try to resell & the time that could take. I can only have the 700ml ( due to my wild younger days ) so gettin a reg 700 action can't happen. So that limits me to the 700ML only. I am lookin for that 2800fps min - 3000fps shooting 250gr-325gr bullets. Thanks for the insight on the Brux light varmint barrels, I was thinkin either that or a Sendaro barrel.
I want this Rem 700ML .45 SML conversion to carry thru the woods & hunt from my self climber stand so I don't want more than an 8lb gun w/o optics for a 10lb or less finished gun.

Thanks HVM, I'm not in a big rush to do this, so if it means I have to be patient to find a whole gun that is in the price range I can manage or I find a good deal on a SS receiver & bolt that's fine. I just really don't want to bother with or tie up any of the minimal funds I have to work with for crap I don't want or need then have to try to resell & the time that could take. I can only have the 700ml ( due to my wild younger days ) so gettin a reg 700 action can't happen. So that limits me to the 700ML only. I am lookin for that 2800fps min - 3000fps shooting 250gr-325gr bullets. Thanks for the insight on the Brux light varmint barrels, I was thinkin either that or a Sendaro barrel.
I want this Rem 700ML .45 SML conversion to carry thru the woods & hunt from my self climber stand so I don't want more than an 8lb gun w/o optics for a 10lb or less finished gun.

A 275 grain Parker BE traveling near 3,000 fps generates over 5,000 foot-pounds of energy.
That translates into recoil with a light gun. You are going to need a very light stock to get you down to that weight, but it will need a barrel channel for a fat barrel.
You may want to add a really good recoil pad, or a brake to it.

I built a rifle for a man who was in the same legal position as you on the Remington 700ML action. He was very happy with it.
In my opinion it is just as good a rifle as one built on the 700 action.

See the rifle at the end of this video.
(1) Smokeless Muzzleloader: 275 grain Parker BE at 3,000 fps Effect on Deer - YouTube

Did you decide to go a different path than the Omega?
Hey bud, how the heck are ya? Hope life is good your way.
Yea unfortunately, I had no clue as to how much an Omega SML would cost to have built. Waaaay outta my reach & I can't see it worth that even if I could afford it. My only hope there is to find a used one someday. I'm gonna send the barrel to a bro & hold on to the receiver for awhile, I may just getta wild hair & get me a Boyds grey lam stock & a 28" SS fluted barrel & some Thor bullets or XTP's& sabots with a BH 209 charge & just enjoy havin another Omega in my hands again. This Rem 700ML seems like the only other way I'll be able to have a SML on a disability income. Thanks for touchin base. Happy holidays

Last edited:
Any caliber will work, the action is the same. If the donor gun is in good shape, you can sell off the parts you don't want. Gunbroker use to have a bunch for sale but there are only a few right now. I believe McGowen is the only place selling barrels for the older 700ML, I don't know if that's a barrel nut setup or a full sized heavy contour shank barrel. IIRC, $225 was the most I've paid for a whole gun. Some of the listings on Gunbroker say that their muzzleloader is in great shape and then they show a rusty bore. I wouldn't evern consider those, IMO, if the barrel is rusty, the action is in the same shape.

Your post mentioned a regular 700 barrel, that won't work on an older Rem 700ML, the barrel tenon is a different length.

I'm pretty sure my Brux barrels have a 1.25 inch shank which is a smaller diameter than the action.
WWVmgvf.jpg
Thank you for takin the time to go thru all that for me. I appreciate it. I do need all the help, info & insight I can get obviously. Theres 2 700ML's on GB right now I saw yesterday, one is at 300.00 already & NOT cared very well for by pics & buy now for 600.00 ( NOT payin that!) the other auction is over 300.00 already with NO PICS ( Thats just NUTS )

I bought a 700ml barreled action in stainless off ebay for $75 - barrel was 54 caliber. Gave another $100 for the bolt. I am getting ready to order a Mcgowen barrel & build a light weight as your self. Keep looking - finding a deal isn't the fastest option.

Latest posts

Back