Thoughts on a 700 SML build w 209s please

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am at the starting gate with a 700 CF 0.470 bolt face conversion to SML. I was hoping to keep things simple with 45 cal, medium loads and 209 primers and saboted bullets. 200 yds or less. Struggling now with the fact that I have not found a way to hold the 209 primer on the end of the bolt. And its a very long way into the 700 receiver to get to the breech plug. Im guessing the likely path would be to switch to Modules, but im going to hold out and see if anyone has overcome this problem already. Thanks!!!

If it's a Centerfire action I think you're going to be limited to a module of some type 209's are sure convenient and I have 209 smokeless guns, but if I have my choice it would always be a module with the large rifle mag I am a lght to medium load shooter and of course the 209 will handle anything it's a flamethrower, I just like the consistent numbers if you're checking velocities that you get with large rifle mag and I get great accuracy with 209's too it's just a little bit better with the module mag setup, if you're at the starting gate of your first smokeless 45 build anything that you purchased for it that you've changed your mind on you can use on your next four or five builds, now way you're going to build just one, economics may make you build one, but sooner or later you're going to have another don't make the mistake of shooting it once you get it built it's absolutely over then smokeless loading addiction,, I'm binging as we speak.

I am at the starting gate with a 700 CF 0.470 bolt face conversion to SML. I was hoping to keep things simple with 45 cal, medium loads and 209 primers and saboted bullets. 200 yds or less. Struggling now with the fact that I have not found a way to hold the 209 primer on the end of the bolt. And its a very long way into the 700 receiver to get to the breech plug. Im guessing the likely path would be to switch to Modules, but im going to hold out and see if anyone has overcome this problem already. Thanks!!!
https://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com/thread/19505/209-bolts

The link above is the Rem 700 CF 209 Bolt that I have & is the only source I know of. I have Most of the Ignition Systems & sometimes the Convenience of the Disposable 209 Shotshell Primers is Nice.

https://arrowheadrifles.com/product/arrowhead-209-breech-plug/

I would suggest using the ASG 209 Breech Plug with .030" Bushing

I Love my Rem 700 CF 209 Bolt & sounds like it would definitely meet your needs with Sabots & .40 Cal Bullets.
.45 Cal Smokeless
60 Grs VV N120
195 Gr Barnes Expander (Annealed & Knurled)
Harvester Light Blue Smooth Sabot
Fed 209A Primer
2,800 fps

Last edited:
https://arrowheadrifles.com/product/arrowhead-209-breech-plug/

I would suggest using the ASG 209 Breech Plug with .030" Bushing

I Love my Rem 700 CF 209 Bolt & sounds like it would definitely meet your needs with Sabots & .40 Cal Bullets.
.45 Cal Smokeless
60 Grs VV N120
195 Gr Barnes Expander (Annealed & Knurled)
Harvester Light Bule Smooth Sabot
Fed 209A Primer
2,800 fps
That sounds like a great system and i hope i can follow suit. Ill keep you posted.

After weeks of chasing down the 700 CF 209 bolt, I have had to make a compromise. When I could not find a bolt, I almost went with modifying a stock 700 CF bolt to attach the 209. then I found a good deal on a Paramount. The Paramount still has bolt locking lugs but they are not between the barrel and the ejection port. So the breech plug is right at the ejection port like with the 700ml and there is still a good bolt locking system. I also like that the bolt is much shorter and lighter and the barrel sits back and can be like 1.25 inches longer without making the gun longer. Hopefully im not missing any Paramount negatives, but its not like im the first one doing this. We will see soon. The other attractive path (much less $) would have been a 700ml conversion. I have reasons for not going there, but it was a very close second choice. Barrel is showing up this week so im glad to have a plan. Special thanks to the folks out there who have helped me out!!!

Latest posts

Back