Looking for a Long range target scope.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
When I say long range I mean 300 and 400 yard target shooting. I'm a hunter, and just use ballistic reticle scopes for hunting but want a good target scope for playing around. Any good ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

If price doesn't matter, Leupold VX6 with the CDS turret. Granted, different bullets or charges throw off the turret but, put the standard back on.

That will definitely cover300-400 yds.
Leupold vx6. Are wonderful also

I have a VX 6 3x18x44 and a mark 4, both great scopes. Leupold's warranty and CS are great. The real plus is they're American made with American components

I have been using a Vortex Viper 6.5 x 20 . Turrets track great . Glass is fantastic for price and the warranty is good

Right now is a great time to buy a Leupold VX 3. They just came out with the new VX 3i and most places have the 3's discounted quit a bit. You can prob get a 3 for same price as a 2. Leupold was also offering a rebate of 100$ on top of sale price but I think that ended last week.

I was strictly Leupold for most of my life. Lately, I tried a few Nightforce, and vortex. The Vortex at about 1/4 the price, plays on the same field as the upper end scopes and does very well.

Aren't we all hunters?
For hunting I prefer a 1/2 MOA / click scope - it's just quicker to turn from your rangefinder reading. With a custom calibrate turret with your load - no range card is needed.
Target - as you've seen there are many good quality options.

52Bore said:
Aren't we all hunters?
For hunting I prefer a 1/2 MOA / click scope - it's just quicker to turn from your rangefinder reading. With a custom calibrate turret with your load - no range card is needed.
Target - as you've seen there are many good quality options.

I don't want the scope for hunting at all. Strictly just target shooting for now.

If you are talking 300 yd bench rest style target shooting the higher power the better. I would go Sightron SII 36X or Weaver T36. If you are going for the smallest aggs possible then 36X will be your friend.

The one picked out for my custom barreled Prohunter 45 caliber is a Nikon Monarch 4.5 x 14 and I am quite happy with it. Longer ranges what I use it for.

Must be going to put this on Bestill special. With only needing about 8 MOA, small BSA should work great, I would think. I could be wrong. Just hunting don't need much

fivebull said:
Must be going to put this on Bestill special. With only needing about 8 MOA, small BSA should work great, I would think. I could be wrong. Just hunting don't need much

I hope not, I want that for my primary hunting gun. But if it's long and heavy you could end up being right.

Grouse said:
When I say long range I mean 300 and 400 yard target shooting. I'm a hunter, and just use ballistic reticle scopes for hunting but want a good target scope for playing around. Any good ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Someone has a Vortex 6x20 for $179 - got a flyer on it the other day - maybe it was MidWay of MidSouth can not remember - I am old!

Back