Looking for a Varmint/Predator Scope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skamaniac

Reaction score
Most of my shooting here in Michigan are 150 yds or less, but i could get an occasional 200+ target. What magnification is recommended and what are decent scopes that won't break the piggy bank? Which reticle do you prefer?

I used a Weaver K10 on my .220 Swift, and it was fine for my shooting.

There are a lot of good scopes out there now. On the lower end for prices I tested a 3-9X from each of Pentax's four lines last year, and they all worked well.

Doug at Cameraland has good prices.

jim

I purchased an 8X25 Eraticator Mueler scope based on a friends recommendation. I was a little concerned because of the low price but its actually been a pretty good scope. Optics are very good even at 25 power, it holds a zero the windage and elevation adjustments are very predictable. The illuminated reticle works well against a dark background or when your fighting the sun. Eye relief isn?t that great so I wouldn?t recommend it for anything with a lot of recoil. For 150-200 yard shots a 3X9 would be plenty.
http://www.muelleroptics.com/
This is the least expensive place I have found to get them, the price includes shipping.
http://www.mizzoumuleguns.com/id12.html

IMO, 3-9 would be your best choice for those ranges if your thinking of a coyote (moving target) gun. 9X will give you decent magnifcation for 200yds, but you will be glad for the 3X on closer in moving targets. There are a lot of good scopes available in 3-9 for $150-250.

16X or higher is nice for range work or if you're regularly shooting at 200yds+, but you have to move up in the low end magnification to get the high mag.

I've currently have a 5.5-16.5X on my yote gun. If I were to do it again, I would probably go with a 3-9 or one of the 2.5-10X. It's a little tough to keep up with a yote on the move w/ the 5.5X at 100yds or less.

Some really good scopes that I have owned that I think would be perfect for your uses:

Monarch 4-12-40AO

This scope sold for over $400.00 originally. It is on closeout now. When you see the optics you'll see why it sold for over $400.00!

Weaver V-16 4-16X42AO

Really a great scope with the perfect magnification range for a varmint scope. Really good optics but the above Nikon has better.

that is a great deal on that nikon ... i hope they can keep those in stock for just a few more months until my cash flow improves .... :twisted:

skamaniac said:
Most of my shooting here in Michigan are 150 yds or less, but i could get an occasional 200+ target. What magnification is recommended and what are decent scopes that won't break the piggy bank? Which reticle do you prefer?

Get a Leupold 2>7 power Shotgun scope in the VX I

IMO it depends on what you're going to shoot at. If your intended target is small go with the highest magnification. If it bigger something in the midrange. Me, I've got a 6 - 24 on a 22-250. I shoot at a lot of gophers out to 200 yds and it makes them look a lot bigger in the scope. For yotes I can turn it down to what I need. I guess you can always reduce you magnification to what you need, but you can't make it more than it is. I guess what I'm sayin is go with the highest magnification you can find and afford.

So many variables left to our imaginations. What is your down and dirty 95% use for this scope? What is she gonna be riding on?

I ended up putting a 4-16x50 Pentax Gameseeker. So far this is been a nice scope to work with.

Latest posts

Back