Looking for Suggestions?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pro_Hunter

Reaction score
Hello everybody, this is my first post as well as new to this forum and modern muzzleloading, I am familiar with flintlocks but not inlines, yesterday I went out and ordered a TC Pro Hunter with a Nikion Omega BDC scope for on it, I know everygun shoots different and you have to play around and see what works for you, I know to calculate for the scope they recommend 150 grains and 250 grain bullet, I been doing research to see what everybody recommends and its like opening up a can of worms, THE ONLY animal I will be hunting with this gun is whitetails, from what I found out so far the top choices are Shockwaves, Barnes expanders and Hornady SST's, Please guide me in the right direction on where to start, which bullet would be best suitable for me? Most the shots are going to be around 75-100 yards, BUT there are fields where I would be able to talke further shots if I dared and if its possible out to 200, also what is the best Pellet powder to use? also what kind of tools (cleaning tools, cappers, whatever I need, etc. ) should I purchase to make my life even easier? I know all this info is prob on a forum somewhere but with my busy lifestyle I dont have alot of time to get on the net and research, when I get the chance I like to go shooting, thank you very much in advance for all the help!

It depends on what velocity you're shooting. If at under 2000 with black powders subs the SST is a good choice. Unless I missed it you didn't mention what rifle you have or will get. If you'll be shooting a savage smokeless velocity will be higher. SST still work but I prefer the bonded SW's. They hold together better on deer.

I went out and ordered a TC Pro Hunter with a Nikion Omega BDC scope for on it
A very nice set up. I am sure that is a beautiful rifle and rig that will serve you well.

I found out so far the top choices are Shockwaves, Barnes expanders and Hornady SST's
Shockwaves and SST's are basically the same bullet. They are both made by Hornady. The Barnes 250 grain Expanders are an outstanding bullet. Able to do it all. Other favorites are Nosler .451/260 grain Partitions (which I have never shot), Speer Gold Dots, and XTP's.

Most the shots are going to be around 75-100 yards, BUT there are fields where I would be able to talke further shots if I dared and if its possible out to 200
Based on this fact, I would be shooting either the Barnes Expander in 250 grain or the 250 grain Shockwave. Which ever is most accurate. Both will put that whitetail in your freezer.

also what is the best Pellet powder to use?
I would shoot Pyrodex RS. Triple Se7en 2f is a good powder, but I like Pyrodex RS when shooting pellets. Swab between shots, and at the end of the day, if you shot that rifle, clean that barrel. While Pyrodex is very consistent, it is also very corrosive. Triple Se7en pellets and Pyrodex pellets are designed to produce approximately the same velocity. Another option to keep in mind is, there are 30 grain pellets out there. You might want to load four of them and shoot 120 grains of pellets. What ever is most accurate in your rifle.

also what kind of tools (cleaning tools, cappers, whatever I need, etc. )
For capping, I like a T/C dog bone capper. They work best for me on all my inline rifles. Easy to carry 10 primers with you, and easy to reach in there under a scope and cap the breech plug.

For cleaning tools, you will need a bore brush, a tooth brush, a brass short brush, some breech plug tape and or grease (I use both), some shockwave loading jag, cleaning jags, patches, solvents like Birchwood Casey #77 or Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine (careful, they also make Butch's for center fire and the two are different), some Birchwood Casey Sheath a.k.a Barricade for protecting the rifle after the cleaning, and a T handle short starter for getting the sabots down into the barrel. Also a range rod is a blessing when you are working up a load.

Let me take this opportunity to welcome you to the forum. It is great to have you here. You have a great rifle too. And it should give you years fo great shooting.

There is NO doubt that for your muzzleloader/scope combo I would try both a 250gr Parker Ballistic Extreme and a T/C 250gr Bonded Shockwave on top of 3 50gr Triple Se7en pellets. You might as well start out with the Winchester Triple Se7en 209 primers too. That's EXACTLY what I would try. The trajectories of those combinations should match your scope reticle perfectly. Both bullets are top performers and you should have no problems on whitetail. Use the bullet that gives you the best groups.

Many bullets will dispatch whitetails and all of them you listed will work.

I have my favorites but honestly, I would pick the bullet that shoots best for YOU. I feel the package you are starting out with is superb.

If it were mine, I would use 777 pellets or FFg loose and start out with the 275gr Parker Ballistic Extreme and MMP 3p sabots. I feel the parker is better on game than the shockwave.. I did a test of those bullets here

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... listic+gel

What range will you typically shoot on your hunts? I am assuming with the bdc scope you plan on taking longer shots?

Pro Hunter,

Since your Pa whitetails are on the light side of 100 pounds dressed the 200 gr. T/C shock-wave with hodgdons 777 loose powder or equivelent pellets will put them on the ground with less recoil and a flatter trajectory out to 200 yards.

Choc-dog

I would try T/C's 250 gr. Bonded Shockwave w/ 3 Triple Se7en pellets or 3 Pyrodex pellets. You'll get about the same velocity with either. One may shoot better than the other but my first choice would be the Triple Se7en for ease of cleanup and no rotten egg smell. If either of these loads shoot well in your Pro Hunter, then you're good to go with the BDC reticle.

Depends on how much recoil you can take without flinching. I like to shoot my muzzleloader quite a few times, and 150 grains gets me to flinching after just a few shots. If you are not recoil shy, you may do fine with 150 grains.

However, don't buy into the hype that you have to go magnum. My elk load is 80 grains of ffg 777. Anything in the 100-120 grain range will be more than enough for whitetails, and should give you very good trajectory out to 200 yards.

Back