Looking to buy first muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ditka

Reaction score
I am looking to buy my first muzzle loader and have it narrowed down to two. I am looking at the CVA Optima and the Traditions Featherlight. I have rifle and bow hunted for over 35 years but know nothing about muzzle loading and would like the pros, cons, and suggestions of which to get between these two or any other recommendations in this price range.

Ditka said:
I am looking to buy my first muzzle loader and have it narrowed down to two. I am looking at the CVA Optima and the Traditions Featherlight. I have rifle and bow hunted for over 35 years but know nothing about muzzle loading and would like the pros, cons, and suggestions of which to get between these two or any other recommendations in this price range.

Of the two that you have listed - I would go with the Optima... lots of good comments about them.

However, were it me I probably would not get either one of them, but I am really old fashioned. If they still make an Omega in Stainless you might look at one of those. Even a blu/balck Triumph could be a better choice... Myself I would still be after a bolt action gun.

Yet again the Optima is a proven rifle for some.

I own a CVA Optima and it seems to be a well built, accurate gun for the money. I have also discovered that if you like open sights, it is a trivial task to move the rear sight from the middle of the barrel all the way back to the first hole in the scope mount and almost double your sight plane. The quick release breach plug is very nice as well.

[/quote] Myself I would still be after a bolt action gun.[/quote]

Why is this? Are there advantages to a bolt action muzzleloader?

Its not a big advantage its more what you like and the fill of the gun. I have and optma and its a good gun and its lite for scotting this is what I use the optima for. but for hunting I use the knight thats just me and what bullet you can shoot in your state cva , knight shoot sabots and conical good tc or good with sabots but not conicals as for traditions I can not say have not shot one in a long long time hope this helps you some and good luck.

I am partial to Knights, very reliable guns. You might want to look at a used Knight DISC Extreme. You can pick them up used at reasonable prices.

Here is one listed in the classifieds if it is still available. It is a Knight DISC Elite with the 209 conversation and for $270 it is a great deal!

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... hp?t=22232

Got to throw in 2 cents....... One thing to remember when purchasing, "If you don't have the money or time to do it right the first time, where are you going to get the money or time to do it over?" (R.I.P. Dad).

Myself I would still be after a bolt action gun.[/quote]

Why is this? Are there advantages to a bolt action muzzleloader?[/quote]

As I said, I am old fashioned and I really believe that a bolt action does offer greater strength in the action, longer durability of the rifle, some what better accuracy especially over time with a 1 peice barreld action versus a break open.

I think you will find any rifle across the world that is built for durabilty and life will be a 1 peice barreld action, such as a bolt or some form of a drop action.

These are only my thoughts and others totally disagree...

Out of the two you listed, i like the Optima in SS better. If you want to shoot BH209 powder it will also need the improved breach plug from Western Powders for the best reliability.

I would also suggest looking in the classified here. That Elite 50 with the Lehigh breach plug is a sweet rifle at a great price.

GM54-120 said:
Out of the two you listed, i like the Optima in SS better. If you want to shoot BH209 powder it will also need the improved breach plug from Western Powders for the best reliability.

I would also suggest looking in the classified here. That Elite 50 with the Lehigh breach plug is a sweet rifle at a great price.

I have a pm into the seller on this gun. The CVA I am looking at is the Optima SS with scope for $369 brand new. I am not looking to break the bank because I will only be able to hunt with it for such a short time every year. I will shoot it to sight in every year and any shots on deer and that is it. This is just going to give me another opportunity to be out in the woods hunting.

Ditka said:
GM54-120 said:

I have a pm into the seller on this gun. The CVA I am looking at is the Optima SS with scope for $369 brand new. I am not looking to break the bank because I will only be able to hunt with it for such a short time every year. I will shoot it to sight in every year and any shots on deer and that is it. This is just going to give me another opportunity to be out in the woods hunting.

That is exactly how a lot of us got started.... but it might just 'git' you like it has a lot of us.... I have a 7 day ML elk season but for the last dozen years I have not even used a center fire - I use the ML all season long now...

That is exactly how a lot of us got started.... but it might just 'git' you like it has a lot of us.... I have a 7 day ML elk season but for the last dozen years I have not even used a center fire - I use the ML all season long now...[/quote]

I am open minded and would love to get into it more. Just need to find the right gun at the right price and get started!

Ditka

If you are near the STL area in Missouri, i can bring my Elite 45 into work for you to handle. Its not for sale but at least you can see if it fits you. Mine has the same breach plug and stock. Add a Burris FullField II scope for $150 or less from Natchez and you will have a high quality combo that will last a long time.

I use my MLs for all deer seasons now too.

GM54-120 said:
Ditka

If you are near the STL area in Missouri, i can bring my Elite 45 into work for you to handle. Its not for sale but at least you can see if it fits you. Mine has the same breach plug and stock. Add a Burris FullField II scope for $150 or less from Natchez and you will have a high quality combo that will last a long time.

I use my MLs for all deer seasons now too.

I appreciate the offer but I am about 5 1/2 hours from you. :(

I deer hunt in IL with a Knight Disc Elite, works like a charm. I have a Lehigh breechplug, use Blackhorn 209 & have the trigger adjusted to 2.5 lbs.

smyrnagc said:
I am partial to Knights, very reliable guns. You might want to look at a used Knight DISC Extreme. You can pick them up used at reasonable prices.

Here is one listed in the classifieds if it is still available. It is a Knight DISC Elite with the 209 conversation and for $270 it is a great deal!

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... hp?t=22232

Going off of the advice and recommendations from yall I went ahead and purchased this gun. Hope the Knight is as good as yall say it is. I have to admit that I know nothing about muzzle-loaders and any tips or info you guys have would be appreciated.

You got a great deal! Search this forum for bullet and powder info and ask any questions you might have. shoot me a PM if you need any help.

smyrnagc said:
You got a great deal! Search this forum for bullet and powder info and ask any questions you might have. shoot me a PM if you need any help.

Thanks, the seller has been great to work with and very patient with my questions. He states the gun likes 100gr. of T7 3F with a 300 gr .44 cal bullet Hornady XTP bullet, MMP green sabots, and Winchester Triple Seven Primers. What has your experience been with what these guns like?

Ditka said:
smyrnagc said:

Thanks, the seller has been great to work with and very patient with my questions. He states the gun likes 100gr. of T7 3F with a 300 gr .44 cal bullet Hornady XTP bullet, MMP green sabots, and Winchester Triple Seven Primers. What has your experience been with what these guns like?

I would agree with the 300 gr .44 cal Hornady XTP bullet, MMP green sabots, it is a great bullet/sabot combo and very easy on the billfold. I have used this combo in my Knight for a couple years with great success (shot my largest deer to date with them). It was actually recommended to me by alphaburnt, another MM.com member.

Here is a thread where he posted about the XTPs:

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... hp?t=11043

I personally have changed over to the Blackhorn 209 but the 100gr. of T7 3F will work fine. I also have changed to the CCI209M primers but that is due to BH209 needing a hotter primer. The Winchester T7 primers will do fine for the T7 3f.

Put ya a good scope on it and take it to the range and dial it in. You will find it a very accurate and reliable rifle.

Back