What else do I need?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmingdales Finest

Reaction score
I picked up the CVA Optima I won at a dinner today and below is what I was able to get at the store. When I got home I mounted the scope using levels that I use for setting up a bow and then a household level.

I know I will need a case but they didn’t have the CVA one I wanted. I forgot to look for a sling and speed loaders. What am I missing?

Attachments

• 9C212303-9B44-47B6-9DF8-B62480B44611.jpeg
    9C212303-9B44-47B6-9DF8-B62480B44611.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 130B6E57-AF0A-446E-8DFF-E3AADE0DD1B5.jpeg
    130B6E57-AF0A-446E-8DFF-E3AADE0DD1B5.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Congrats on your good fortune. You've basically got what you need to go put some holes in paper. I'd pick up a brass cleaning brush for the barrel and another to clean the breech plug. Windex works well on your cleaning patches. The ramrod that comes with it sucks pretty bad but many make it work.

Anything else depends on your intentions with the new toy.

Congrats on your good fortune. You've basically got what you need to go put some holes in paper. I'd pick up a brass cleaning brush for the barrel and another to clean the breech plug. Windex works well on your cleaning patches. The ramrod that comes with it sucks pretty bad but many make it work.

Anything else depends on your intentions with the new toy.
I have a range rod that I forgot to put in the picture and the cleaning kit has a brass brush. Do I need more brushes.

I just put in an order at Muzzleloaders. For some speed loaders, a sling, CVA Barrel Blaster patches, and a case.

A bunch of people told me to find a drill bit that fits to clean the hole in the breech plug. Is that bad advice?

Depending on how well the gun shoots with the pellets you might want to get some loose powder, a powder flask, and a powder measure. The xtp 240s are an excellent bullet for deer!

Depending on how well the gun shoots with the pellets you might want to get some loose powder, a powder flask, and a powder measure. The xtp 240s are an excellent bullet for deer!
As most things I do, I end up going all in. This is I am sure just baby steps to get me up and running for the firearm deer season we have in December in NJ.

Last edited:
A bunch of people told me to find a drill bit that fits to clean the hole in the breech plug. Is that bad advice?
If you mean the flash channel, then that’s good advice. The flash hole, on the other hand, should be cleaned very gently and not with a drill bit unless you want to speed up erosion.

IMG_2719.jpeg

If you mean the flash channel, then that’s good advice. The flash hole, on the other hand, should be cleaned very gently and not with a drill bit unless you want to speed up erosion.

View attachment 38103
Honestly I don’t know the parts well enough to answer whether it’s the channel or the hole. Frankly with what I read I would have used it for all of the breech plug.

Problem with that is some guys get carried away with just a drill and start drilling out the BP. You can't do that with the tool I showed.

I was talking by hand. Hold the drill and turn the BP. You can shave metal.

Latest posts

Back