Loose powder shooting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hando

Reaction score
Just recently found this site and have been on here almost daily since. Hunting season is almost over and am getting ready to play with the two cans of blackhorn I just got, in my omega, encore, and my newly accuired Knight LRH. I've experimented with Pyrodex and T7 loose but couldn't seem to find the accuracy I could get with pellets. I have a feeling I'm not being consistent on my seating pressure of the bullet, causing my inconsistency. Any tips or help you guys could give me on how hard or soft to compress the charge would be greatly appreciated and or how you consistently repeat it. My omega shoots 1" or less groups regularly on pellets and I know it should on some combination of loose as well, but hasn't. Spoon feed me.

Hando,
I use a "witness mark" on my range rod to get consistent pressure. Just seat the first bullet as firmly as you want, then use a marker to make a ring on the ramrod on top of the load, even with the muzzle. That way you can gauge how far down to push the next one to get the same, or similar pressure.

Your issue may not be with seating pressure, but of accuracy of measuring your loose powder. When I was shooting Pyrodex pellets, I had great accuracy in my Black Diamond, Rem 700, Encore, etc. When I switched to loose powder, my groups opened up. I had a lot of fliers. I was just measuring by volume and dumping the stuff in, then loading as I do any other time. I started weighing my charges and the accuracy returned. The fliers went away, and the chronograph reading was a lot more consistant.

Having said that, there is a difference between volume and weight 100 gr by volume of Pyrodex, T7, BH209. Each different powder type has a different weight:volume. I throw 5 charges of 100 gr loads and weigh each one then average them to get a baseline. From there on, I weigh my charges on a digital scale and life has been good.

Another thing people switching from pellets to loose tend to do is they load too much powder. For example, a rifle that shot great with two 50 grain pellets, might find that in loose the accurcy is at 90 grains or even 110 grains so you can take take one load amount of powder and automatically think in loose it will do the same thing.

So before you give up on all powders, start playing with powder charges..

Hey deer thanks for turning on the light bulb. I was laughing at myself for being such an idiot as I read that. I don't know how I forgot about that,probably lazy from shooting pellets, but that was one of the first things my buddy kept pounding into my head when I first got started and was borrowing one of his guns. He was shooting loose powder and file etched his ramrod "witness mark" for his load, although I'll probably just use tape.

I'm with you on that one also AJ. I have done that with a RCBS digital as I realized MY volume measuring wasn't very consistent even though I tried to do it the same every time. Thanks again fellas. Anybody else? I love information

Cayuga you don't have to worry about me giving up as I'm way to stubborn, I'll lick it eventually. That's the loose powder range I've been playing with so I just need to put all this stuff together and I should be ok.

Using tape to mark the ramrod is a good start, but after a while the tape becomes ragged and goey due to the effects of hot, soapy water (or hoppes #9 for BH209) used for cleaning.

Marking a witness ring with a file on the ramrod is the best permanent solution once you have decided on the depth to seat your bullet.

Then you never have to worry about tape residue getting into the barrel when cleaning after a hunt or range session.

Back