Lubes (again)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the other hand, Wild Bill Hickock used a pair of 1851 Navy Colts. In the evening he would shoot the loads out of ONE of them, clean it, oil it and load it again, then do the same with the other one so he always had one loaded in case the baddies came. Or so I've read, many years ago....

~WH~

Safety rule #1. ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED UNTIL YOU PROVE THEY ARE NOT.
Too true! And, too easy to forget, as I have learned from experience although no one was hurt or even scared, except my sucking in air as the .30-06 cartridge ejected out of the rifle the owner said was unloaded....

~WH~

It is made from natural ingredients (no petroleum)
Isnt petrolium a "natural" product?

I know crude oil is a "natural material". Gssoline, diesel, kerosene, motor oil, etc. are naught but purified/refined cride oil.

RE: Leaving them loaded long term:

All my self defense arms, be they cap and ball revolver, muzzleloading derringer or pistol, or cartridge gun, are kept loaded at all times.

If/when I need one to save my bacon or someone else's, (hopefully never again) unloaded is less than worthless.

In my case, I know they are ready to go "bang", and I never point them at anything I do not intend to ventilate.

No one else has access to them.

#1 reason I invented my current lube. I never shoot my gun off while hunting unless I am shooting at something. I need long term rust protection that doesnt wipe off easily and doesnt evaporate. I wanted something that would actually dry to a glaze and not be sticky and attract dirt.

What Jonathan stated is what we have found with his products.

"Isnt petrolium a "natural" product?
I know crude oil is a "natural material". Gssoline, diesel, kerosene, motor oil, etc. are naught but purified/refined cride oil. "

No. It's a "petroleum product". As opposed to things like beeswax, olive oil, peanut oil, beaver castor, mink oil etc which are "natural" products.

EEZOX is great. There's more than one test on you tube. Barricade is not bad either. For patch lube, try SPG in a tin.
Blackpowderspg.com.

IMHO it's not so much that something is petroleum based, but rather "how" and "for what" they are used.

I use a product I knew of being originally called track lube, but was bought up by a certain entity so it was changed slightly and is now sold as frog lube. Its green, and works as a lube for any action of firearm, and also a patch lube in my smoke pole. It is made from natural ingredients (no petroleum) so that's one reason its for me. JMHO
I use frog.lube also, just dumped bore butter as it turns to asphalt when exposed to heat a d black k powder byproduct. Jojobo oil worked well today, next time trying mink oil. Barrel much cleaner never hard to seat ball like when bore butter used. Thanks for all the great advise from all. Made a huge difference in accuracy and cleanliness.

Not getting off topic. I keep all the weapons (muzzleloaders and modern) cleaned, lubed and unloaded but two in our house and that's an old Remington 870 Police Special 12 ga. in a lock box under our bed and a Sig 938 9MM in my day pack beside the nightstand with a good flashlights.

If there's a problem I will hand the Sig to the wife with a flashlight and I'll grab the 870 pump and the other flashlight then lock the little dog and cat (sleeping on the bed) in a closet. That's the last thing you need, dealing with a problem plus having the dog and cat underfoot..

buck conner.jpg

Last edited:
Same here Buck..I sleep comfortably with a 645 S/S Smith 45 on a magnet on my nightstand inches from my head and a 6 cell light ready to go when things go bump in the night. Out..(off topic again) Would it help to use a polishing compound like JBs on my new 50 bore to aide in cleaning and reloading. Seems like it would reduce the lube problem a little.

In our house the bad guys would first have to get past Carl and Greta, a pair of German Shorthairs with a strong sense of family......….

And then it's the barely legal barrel length Ithaca 37 on the top shelf in the closet.

Many years ago we lived in a house that backed up to a path along South Boulder Creek. One very early morning the then dog started growling, and there were footsteps on the deck outside the bedroom window. I handed the phone to my wife, got the shotgun and stepped over to the partially open window. Racking the shotgun right by the window-quite noisy, as that old Ithaca had a lot of rounds through it- I heard footsteps go back down the stairs. In the background I heard my spouse saying to the police "...my husband is the one in white underwear and a shotgun.....". Turned out the cops had been chasing a burglar through back yards for over an hour. They caught him a few minutes later.

Lol, I bet those footsteps were at a fast pace going back down the stairs. They say no other sound is more recognized or intimidating as is the cycling of a pump action shotgun.

I am meticulous, even compulsive about cleaning my black powder firearms. I am like that with my modern firearms, as well.
I use water with just a touch of dish soap immediately after shooting muzzleloaders: toothpick in the flash hole and bore filled with the water. While it soaks for a few minutes, I spray water on the external lock parts. After several minutes, I let the water out from the barrel by pulling the tooth pick. The water comes out black, then grey, then mostly clear. The tooth pick goes back in and I do a second fill of the bore. The bore is emptied and I then swab with bore patches until they come out mostly clean. A wipedown of the externals of the lock and the firearms are ready to be placed in the car and taken home.
At home, I remove the lock, clean the outside and interior, lube, apply rust protectant (EezOx or Barricade), wipe down the wood, reassemble and put the firearm on the rack.
Is my procedure overkill. Maybe. But it make me feel good and comfortable about putting the muzzleloaders away in storage.
Can't argue with success:
Rusty riflemd.JPG:D🤪
Ron

Hey Jon, whats the best way to lube the patches with YOUR lube? A
poor at keeping rust out of the bore. Its paraffin wax based. I hated it so much I had to develop my own anti rust luribcant. I was elk hunting one year in the snow. I always keep my barrel point down in snow/rain and after 4-6 hours, I ran a patch down my bore and it was orange/red already! Had enough of that stuff.

Used a tin of the track of the wolf mink oil before. I did the job but again, lacked anti rust ability and the funky musk smell over the months wasn't to my liking.

Do you trust bore butter enough to leave your rifle out in the open elements ?
View attachment 408
View attachment 409

Hey Jon
In your experience, whats been the best way to lube patches with YOUR lube?

For me, i just melt some lube and dip them, squeeze out the excess and then put them in a container. For hunting season though, i actually like to lube my patches at camp by hand. Just a little more romantic being in field and readying for the hunt.

I should add to my comments to say that I use Jon's lube for my patches. The patch lube has made a difference in how many balls I can put down range before it is necessary to clean the bore.
Ron

Latest posts

Back